Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal Antivirus infection Removed [Moved from XP]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zziggy

zziggy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

The better half's Dell XP media center some how got infected with the PERSONAL ANTIVIRUS malware and was causing the usual pains of Pop-ups claiming all kinds of Trojans had infected the computer and Google was hijacked, some pages that you KNOW are legitimate would switch to "about.blank" pages stating that you have entered a virus threat page etc.
The machine is used on a 28.8 dial-up phone line in the woods. It wouldn't download anything at all very fast, so I brought it to work to use the DSL, It loaded things like it was on Nitromethane instead of snail power.

I already had Firefox on the computer so I used FF to download AVG 8.5/Free loaded and it found 9 infected files and I let AVG fix them.
To be double sure, I downloaded Malwarebytes and it found over 10 on the computer and I let Malwarebytes fix them.
I then added Windows Defender and it found one remaining file. I let Win Def dispose of that last bit of infection. I have rescanned the computer and have not found any more infections.

It should be OK now as there hasn't been any pop-up trojan warnings or page redirects or hi-jackings.

I hope this helps someone else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

One more scan you can do is Start, Run, type mrt and enter.
That is for running Windows Malicious file remover tool. You get updates every so often, I always wondered how to run that baby.. Found out the other day. Just one more tool. :thumbsup:

Edited by rosiesdad, 02 September 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

I am shifting this topic for you to the Am I Infected forum. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users