Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless network xp help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

Ive Got A Wired System At Home, 4 Desktop Computers, 1 Running XP Pro, 2 Running 98 & One Running NT4 Server. My Laptop Runs XP Home which is wired. What I want to know is how can i set up a wireless network between the 2 xp systems so my laptop can connect to the xp desktop system, obtain a ip from our broadband modem, & Connect to the server so i can play my music & have access to my files. So, i suppose in other words, im looking for a way i can make the xp desktop system act as a router between the wired network and the wireless laptop? My laptop has a 802.11B Wireless card while the desktop has a 802.11G Wireless card in it.

Please Help Me

Milzee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

In looking at the boards this morning I couldn't help but notice three posts from you all having to do with more or less the same thing. Besides the fact that they really belong in the Networking Forum, am I correct in thinking that it's all one and the same and that this particular post does the best job of explaining what you have and what you are trying to do? :thumbsup:

OK, I'm thinking that if you're bound and determined to make the XP desktop act as the go-between wirelessly for the laptop, what you're going to need to examine is each wireless adapter's software for the "ad-hoc" settings and get those in order. I don't think that Windows will give you this control so you may need to dig out the CD that came with each computer for the wireless adapter software (note: not same as the driver). But with ad hoc you should be able to get the two devices talking to each other.

Now in order to share a network/internet connection out to the laptop, you'll need to employ Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the XP Pro desktop.

That being said, I'm not sure how the server is going to react to the laptop yet; at a minimum you may need to administer it (the server) to see the new machine by entering it's name but it's been a long long time since I've had my hands on NT4 and that may only apply to Active Directory type servers anyways.

- - - - - - - -

OK, now ALL THAT being said, you'll really be much better off by buying a wireless router and putting that in after the broadband modem, then the laptop can connect directly to the network wirelessly through it and you can avoid the whole ad hoc and ICS business (which I'm not 100% sure will work given the laptop is XP Home ed. etc.).

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users