Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vanishing E drive after restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MumaSue

MumaSue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

PC: HP Pavilion a6313w
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center (32-bit)

Not entirely sure which other info you need but will supply what the HP product page has to offer. I have not altered any hardware.

Processor: Athlon 64 X2 (:huh: 5000+ 2.6 GHz (65W)
Chipset: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Motherboard: Asus - M2N68-LA [HP name: Narra2-GL8E]
RAM: 2g 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 640 GB (2 x 320) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
DVD Drive: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
Modem: 56K bps data/fax modem [have never used]
Video: Integrated graphics
Sound: High Definition 8-channel audio * ALC 888S chipset
Network: Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface [This is used for my internet connection]

That seems to be the important info, if anyone needs anymore just ask and I will try to provide

THE PROBLEM
The major one I am worried about [yes there are several] is the fact that after I performed a restore to a previous date my E drive [2nd HD] was very slow to access any data which caused lots of "not responding" messages on any Program trying to access that drive ... such as Forefox [when trying to save an image], PSP XI when saving or opening a file, explorer. After a while the programs freeze [can still access start, restart and use the control panel etc] but the task manager would not close the programs down so I manually rebooted the system. Start up failure again [this happened right after the restore as well] the vista restart diagnostic program starts and performs another restore to a point where the PC worked properly. Once in the E drive is still very slow [takes about an hour to collate 1g of data to copy, no copying even started at this point] and I notice every folder I go into the PC seems to have to create a cache again [the address bar slowly turns green as it searches] and then suddenly No path is found. My E drive no longer exists. Look in My Computer and no E drive. Look in Control Panel and hardware ... no E drive. Its only seeing 1 320g HD. So I restart with a manual reboot [cos "restart" freezes on me] and after the restart diagnostic program does its thing and restores to a previous time the PC was working and my E drive is showing. 30-45 mins later my E drive vanishes again.

So
E drive vanishes after 30-45 mins of starting PC and so slow its not funny anymore
Continuous repair on start up which results in another restore
Programs accessing the E drive freeze with a "not responding" error which can not be closed down with task manager [which also freezes]

If the programs I use only have to access my C drive the PC works fine.
But here is the topper to it all ..... I turned my PC off last night and now it wont restart, gets to the blue HP screen with the F Key options then goes black.
So I am now at the point where a Restore to factory is looking the most likely option but I am concerned about the E drive issue. What could be causing it? Hardware, maybe getting to hot? Software or the OS restore?

Sorry about the long post but wanted to explain as well as I could what was happening. Very new to this side of a PC so if I have left anything out that you think is useful please let me know and I will add.
Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

After the drive is gone, can you still see it in the device manager?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users