Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anotify (AOL popup won't leave)?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nicoleypoleyoley

nicoleypoleyoley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

First, I'd like to say that I searched and didn't find any topics similar to this, so if there has been one, I'd love to be redirected.
Second, I'm not really sure where to put this, so I chose here, and I hope that's alright.

Now, the problem I'm having:

I recently suffered numerous malware and viruses and worms, but I fixed my computer! (I was very proud of myself.)
I've always had this problem, however. I had AOL 9.0 and I just uninstalled it (within the last week) and searched for all "anotify" files and deleted them.
But the pop up still comes up.

It says:
"Active Update 9/2/2009 11:50 AM
The following update is ready to install.

Security Update - Critical: AOL has identified a security vulnerability that can be used to execute malicious code. To correct, install this update. You may need to shut down applications and restart your computer. Click here[linked] for details."

So then after deleting the anotify files, I restarted my computer today. Now all of my plug-ins for AIM 6 (I've not updated this to the new one, and I installed this separately from AOL 9.0) are missing and I have to get them back.

My operating system is XP.

I don't think it's spyware because I've researched it and found out it's a legitimate update from AOL.
My only question is - I've deleted and uninstall everything AOL, except for AIM, so why does this still keep popping up, and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users