Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slightly Complicated Home Networking issue...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

My issue isn't very complicated, but how my network is set-up is.

My setup
-I have computer, the cable modem (RCA: DCM425), and one router (Linksys: WRT54GS) upstairs in my room.
-I have two other older computers and another router (D-Link: D524) downstairs.
-Two Ethernet cables (6ft) are running to my upstairs computer, set up with teaming.
-One Ethernet cable (100-150ft) runs downstairs to the D-Link Router and splits to the two downstairs computer

My problem
-The upstairs gets AMAZING connection (17ms ping to D.C.)
-Downstairs... None.
-It will say it's connected, but gets not actual connection.

I set up the D-Link to function as an Access Point, but no connection.
I even plugged the long ethernet cable directing into one of the downstairs computers, and it will say it's connected, but there is no actual connection. I'm not sure what's going wrong with this situation
The modem and D-Link router used to be downstairs and routing the long cable to the upstairs and it worked.
Can anyone help me? I hope I included enough information. Any help (Figuring out the single connection, or help with setting up the D-Link router as an accesspoint) would be incredible. I really need this to work haha
Thank you for your time in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

It sounds like in your case the D-Link is functioning as a simple switch. Do not know what other options the D-Link has but I do not believe access point is correct choice for your use.

I am not sure how the ports on the D-Link are marked but in this instance you would want all cables going to the LAN ports.

All this should be correct if I have your set up pictured properly in my mind. :thumbsup:

#3 chris carsberg

chris carsberg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi there, it seems to me that your problem is related to the cable and ethernet connections that you have at the moment. I think that rather than having this type of set up you should investigate a www.broadbandexpert.com.au/wireless-internet connection to try and alleviate the difference between upstairs and downstairs reception.

#4 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yeah I want it as at LEAST a switch, but if I could use it as an AP so my sisters can use wireless everywhere in the house that'd be delightful.

But yes, every cable, including the long one, is plugged into the LAN ports.

Do you know of any options to turn on or off to make it act as just a switch? My concern though is why the cable isn't even sending a signal

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

If all cables are plugged into the LAN ports then it should be acting as a switch.

The wireless should function regardless.

Off the top of my head, their may be an ad-hoc option. I believe this should achieve the desired results.

#6 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

it seems like the ethernet cable isnt working, but I don't know where that could be going wrong.

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Well the signal degrades at 100FT on an Ethernet cable. And if the cable is going router too router, don't forget it has too be a crossover cable.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

When you say it is`t working?

Do you mean you have the "network cable is unplugged" message?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Well the signal degrades at 100FT on an Ethernet cable. And if the cable is going router too router, don't forget it has too be a crossover cable.

Maximum ethernet cable length. Doubt distance is an issue.

On older NICs and routers crossovers were need`d. Newer are auto-negotiating. The Linksys should be fine. Have not look`d up the specs. on the D-Link.

#10 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Right! 100M My bad :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

Right! 100M My bad :flowers:

:thumbsup: Thought that was what ya meant.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Ok so upstairs you have the Modem plugged into the WAN or Internet port on the Linkys.(if you don't, then you need it to) You have your PC upstairs connected to one of the 4 other ports on the Linksys. You then have a long cable running downstairs from a port on the Linksys to one of the ports on a D-link router(not the WAN or Internet port) and have 2 PCs connected to it. You have the D-link set up as an access point.

Is the wireless turned off on the Linksys? You don't have to but you should.

Is the DHCP turned off on the D-link? if not, it should be.

What are the IP addresses of the PCs downstairs? Type ipconfig /all on both from a command prompt.

How are the downstairs PCs connected to the D-link?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users