Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Understanding HJT

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:08 AM

Hi,
like most people here, i find reading the posts in the HJT forum really facinating.
I've begun to recognise the obvious things that shouldn't be in a log, but what i wanted to know was..
does anyone know of any reading matter would explain the process of reading these logs in a bit more detail. I'd just like to understand them a bit more.
Thanks

BBPP6nz.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:13 AM

Hello Starbuck!

I would like to learn more as well, when I have some time. But, you can find a tutorial on this website. Click on Tutorials, then scroll to the bottom and change the search from category to title and hit go. You will then see the HijackThis Tutorial about halfway down the list. Have fun.

diego88

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

If anyone is interested in becoming a Highjack This trainee.

Malware (Spyware, Popups, Adware, viruses, etc) is becoming an epidemic on the Internet and on your computers. People are getting infected from seemingly harmless programs or from just visiting a web site. Due to this, the support requests for these types of problems are tremendous. Bleeping Computer is looking to recruit more helpers to assist in removing these types of infections.

Click here
Posted Image

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image diego88 and Scarlett
that should give me a good insight

although 'a trainee' would be a lovely idea... i think i'll need to learn a lot more first :thumbsup:
but.... who knows, maybe one day!

Edited by Starbuck, 22 July 2005 - 12:23 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#5 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:37 PM

Hi Scarlett!

I would like to become a trainee someday as well, but, I'm in the same frame of mind as Starbuck. I have a lot to learn first.

Thanks,

diego88

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

Ok Starbuck and diego88, I understand. Though if you ever do decide, to go into HJT training, just let us know. :thumbsup:

Have a great day!
Posted Image

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:12 PM

Thank you Scarlett
I must admit.. it's something i would love to do, to be able to help people is a wonderful thing.
But as i have no formal IT training.. i think i need to learn some more. (i wouldn't want to let anyone down).

BBPP6nz.png

#8 John_McKenna

John_McKenna

World Class Hairy Chest

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

The quickest way to learn Starbuck is by becoming a HJT trainee. You will learn more in 2 days as a trainee than you would in 2 months of personal research. You'll have access to the hidden training forum where you can ask questions to your hearts content and read the excellent tutorials which are for trainees' eyes only.

Join up, you won't regret it if you wish to learn to fight spyware properley. :thumbsup:
Want to fight back? Click HERE and learn how to remove spyware.

If I've helped you, please consider donating to the Multiple Sclerosis Society (UK)

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:38 AM

Starbuck,
I see you took the plunge. :thumbsup:
Congratulations on being accepted into the HJT training program.

For diego88, or anyone else thinking about joining the HJT classroom, but are worried about not having enough experience, maybe this quote from Papakid (Site Admin) might help you decide:

I had zero IT training when I started and still have zero IT training. All I know is what I read in the paper..oops, sorry, can never resist quoting Will Rogers. I mean I learned most of what I know about computers and all of what I know about HijackThis and malware removal by reading over threads in forums and watching some of the best at their work. I didn't actually try to do a log until I joined BC and hooking up with Grinler accelerated my learning curve.

I probably spent a year/year and a half watching and learning. Mostly Tony Klein and people like Mosaic1, Freeatlast, CNM, Galadrial, Metallica--the list goes on.

At first I was rather annoyed when Tony would ask someone for a log and I would have to look at all that gobbledegook. But eventually became fascinated with it.

So, as has been said before, all that is required for a trainee is a desire to be continually learning and asking quesitons--and be willing to put in a lot of time. But what it basically boils down to is removing software. That takes a logical way of thinking.

I get a little intimidated by all these technical types that do logs and that is probably how Starbuck feels. But I think that IT training can sometimes get in the way of effectively communicating with victims. Most victims are not well informed and someone with no IT training is actually closer to their situation and can relate better.

You know I don't even have three years experience running a computer.

You can quote me if you like, and don't ever hesitate to have someone who is interested to PM me since I keep an eye on the training program and now have the ability to change users groups.

As far as what to expect--just to learn a lot and be willing to devote a lot of time to it.

So, if analyzing HJT logs is something you're interested in, and feel you can devote the time required to learn it; Go for it!

Edited by tg1911, 26 July 2005 - 02:46 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:44 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

Congratulations Starbuck!!

I may "take the plunge" eventually. It is the time that I need to worry about. Not much too give to properly learn or help someone else.

Thank you for further encouragement to train tg1911. It is enticing.

diego88

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image tg1911, Scarlett and Diego88
i'm really looking forward to this new challenge.
Am on holiday from this weekend, but when i get back i'm going to get stuck in.

BBPP6nz.png

#13 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

all the best mate

#14 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Posted Image madnlooney
i really appreciate the interest people are taking.
I'm going to try my best. Posted Image

BBPP6nz.png

#15 catweazle

catweazle

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:27 AM

Belated congratulations Starbuck :thumbsup: it's an idea i've been toying with, i find the logs fascinating,but i'm in the same boat as Diego88, time, maybe when i get a regular 9-5 job i'll forward my name, till then i'll scour the HJT threads picking up some tips, and probably becoming even more confused :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users