Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSA.EXE B.EXE - Malware problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 smashscott

smashscott

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:31 AM

Yesterday I was downloading off of rapidshare and suddenly that fake anti-virus program came up (I didn't catch the name of the fake virus program) however it started just automatically downloading onto my computer and I knew I was in trouble.

I've had the fake Anti-Virus problem before, I believe it was last October. I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (mbam) and ran it, problem fixed...simple.

I figured it would be just as easy this time, but I am wrong.

Whenever I start my computer the viewbar on the bottom right won't work, I do not get any of the antivirus messages. When I try to open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (mbam) the arrow shows an hour glass for a quick second and then nothing. Nothing ever happens. I've looked around on the internet and found some more info, such as to download HiJack...surprise...I get the same problem from HiJack. I then found out about downloading an anti-virus program called "a-squared anti-malware (a2)" it ran on my computer and it actually was able to run, scan and claim to eliminate the problems...but the problems still exist. Someone else then told me to download AVG and run my computer in safemode and run AVG...well AVG ran, and scanned fine (it took around 2 hours, maybe a little more). I wasn't really sure what AVG did, if anything...on the log that it ran in DOS some of the stuff said "file locked" as if it were unable to do anything. Now whenever I start the computer I'm getting the error that AVG is not responding and the "Send report" "Don't Send Report"...when I do "don't send report" nothing happens...when I do "Send Report" it says "Error Sending". As time goes on, the error will re-appear. I'm at a brickwall and feel like I'm just running circles trying to get this thing solved and I have ultimately surrendered and am asking you guys to please help me. ALSO, when I search on google and then click a search result I get this message in the browser "Connection Interrupted - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. -The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again." if I try a few more times it will eventually work. I never get this problem with any page that I type in myself or any bookmarks on my toolbar. I always run FireFox and Opera (I was running Opera when the problem started yesterday) and I never use Internet Explorer. I hope I've provided you with enough information to help me.

This is basically my problem: I have a malware/virus/trojan and I've seen msa.exe and b.exe both come and go, and re-appear and re-disappear. But I'm still having the same problems. So far I haven't been able to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or HiJack. I ran A2 and it didn't seem to fix anything, and I ran AVG which didn't seem to do anything either except just add new error messages. I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled all of the programs that aren't working. So far a simple uninstall and re-install hasn't worked for me.

What can I possibly do at this point? Let me know how I can post you some logs or info or whatever it is that I can do to get this problem fixed. I'm not quite advanced with computers but I'm better than the majority of people out there.

Why I'd like to avoid reformatting: The reason I'm trying to avoid reformatting is because I had got an iPod in December and when I originally put my MP3s onto iTunes everything was a jumbled mess..it was a disaster. I had to go and edit each and every file so that it was nice, correct and organized. This literally took me 7 months to complete. I'm pretty sure I will lose all those edits if I reformat my computer which would really just kill me to lose all that work.

Thank you in advance, it is greatly appreciated

Edited by smashscott, 02 September 2009 - 12:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hello smashscott and :flowers: to BleepingComputer.

The reason I'm trying to avoid reformatting is because I had got an iPod in December and when I originally put my MP3s onto iTunes everything was a jumbled mess..it was a disaster. I had to go and edit each and every file so that it was nice, correct and organized. This literally took me 7 months to complete. I'm pretty sure I will lose all those edits if I reformat my computer which would really just kill me to lose all that work.

I understand how you feel; I'm still trying to get my library organized. . . feels like I'll never get finished either. :trumpet: No promises on not having to reformat, but we'll give it a shot! :thumbsup:

Let's start with SAS. Please note that the following scan may (read: will) take some time to run.

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps may require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (uncheck all others):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode". When logging in, do NOT log in under the account titled "Admin" or "Administrator"

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
SUPERAntiSpyware log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 smashscott

smashscott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ok I appreciate all of your help so far.

ATF Cleaner installed and ran fine.

I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware.com and whenever I try to install it, it will say "Window Installer" in the blue bar on top then has the exclamation in the yellow triangle with the message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

By the way, when I go into Windows in regular mode now (i'm in SafeMode)

Windows launches up and immediately it says "System Shutdown" with the message "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. The shut down was initiated by NT Authority/System Time Before Shutdown: (Counts down from 60seconds). Then it says "Message: The system process C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code - 1073741482. The system will now shut down and restart"

And then it pretty much locks up. I have norton on here from years ago, but I could never find the option to uninstall it and never tried to add/remove it either. Is that what NT Authorty could be from?

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

No. . . NT Authority is Windows. . . basically Windows is protecting itself by shutting down because a critical system process crashed.

What was the last thing you did before you started getting the NT Authority shutdown message?

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 smashscott

smashscott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

Ok I eventually got SuperAntiSpyWare installed and had to do an alternate start. However it crashes before I can finish a complete scan. The system shutdown message is no longer happening and I was able to run AVG for a full scan today. It found 26threats and couldn't get of 5. 3 called c\programfiles\internetexplorer\IEXPLORER.EXE 1 called c\programfiles\mozillafirefox\firefox.exe and 1 c\WINDOWS\explorer.exe. My Internet doesn't work at all (I'm on my cell) and it always seems to say in my task manager that Internet explorer is open. Even when I run SASpyware it must close all Internet explorer browsers. And it does then scans and will close anywhere from 10min to an hour later.

I also noticed Internet explorer open up yesterday and all web addresses were fake pages. Even if I typed google.com

I think I'm screwed

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

Just confirming: you are trying to run SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode (NOT Safe Mode with Networking), correct?

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 smashscott

smashscott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:14 AM

Yes correct

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Could you please post the log from that AVG scan?

Since you are unable to access the internet on the infected computer, download requested files using a clean computer and transfer them to the infected machine using a CD or Flash drive. Also, you can use the same method to move requested logs from the infected computer to your clean computer so that you can post them here. If you choose to use a flash drive, please run the following program on your clean computer before proceeding.

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well. <-- THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Also, I would begin backing up your important files. With the symptoms you're having you may be headed for a system crash. Make sure you immunize any removable drives with Flash Disinfector before plugging them into the infected computer.

2 guidelines when backing up:

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do NOT backup any applications/installers and Do NOT backup any files with the following extensions
  • .exe
  • .scr
  • .htm
  • .html
  • .xml
  • .zip
  • .rar
This because these files may be infected as well. If you back them up and replace them afterwards, it will infect your computer again.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

I would try to grab the iTunes Library.itl file from your iTunes folder too. . . it has your library database on it. :thumbsup:

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 smashscott

smashscott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

I appreciate all of your help and I ended up having to surrender and did a system restore. All is fine now and when I reloaded my mp3s on iTunes again the edits remained there. But not for my WMA files.

Thank you for trying to help I think the virus had disabled me so much it was time to just try a restore. Thanks again

#10 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Glad you got it up and running again.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#11 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

Also, If you would like better virus protection, I'd go with Avast. Quick, easy and free. Plus, unlike most free software, it is antivirus, antispyware and anti-rootkit all in one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users