Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario very slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 p8315

p8315

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

I have a compaq Presario and I want to format the hard drive. This unit has a c:PRESARIO with 68.56 GB 16.7 used and 51.7 free File system NTFS and d: Presario_RP 5.98 GB, 4.49 Used, 1.49 Free, File System FAT32
Is there anything I need to know befor I do this?
I can not find the org. disc that came with the computer, but i have my xp disc from my lap top will that be ok and or do i need that
I ran the malware and found 16 viruses. A lot to do with tool bar locations or something.
The system is still running extreamly slow takes forever for the "MY COMPUTER" screen to load.
I did find that it runs like new in safe mode if that helps.
Please help
Paula

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

I have a compaq Presario and I want to format the hard drive. This unit has a c:PRESARIO with 68.56 GB 16.7 used and 51.7 free File system NTFS and d: Presario_RP 5.98 GB, 4.49 Used, 1.49 Free, File System FAT32
Is there anything I need to know befor I do this?
I can not find the org. disc that came with the computer, but i have my xp disc from my lap top will that be ok and or do i need that
I ran the malware and found 16 viruses. A lot to do with tool bar locations or something.
The system is still running extreamly slow takes forever for the "MY COMPUTER" screen to load.
I did find that it runs like new in safe mode if that helps.
Please help
Paula

If you have all of your pic`s, music and anything else of importance backed-up then you are all set.

You probably did not get any discs with the computer. The D: drive is a "restore partition" = RP. This is an exact image of your computer when you first bought it.

To use it: When you first start the computer there will be a black screen with probably three different choices of keys to press. One of them will be something like system restore or restore. Hope you get the idea. Select the proper key and follow the onscreen prompts.
One other option may be to go to the HP\Compaq (HP bought Compaq) site or call them. You may be able to get the discs for a small fee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users