Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost File System on 1tb external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wheelz01

wheelz01

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

:thumbsup:

so I have a problem........I (just yesterday) was using a 1TB mybook hard drive, filled with mostly .mov files. i was working on finding a converter for the files and ended up downloading 'any video converter' and 'ultra mp4 video converter'. today I downloaded 'VLC Media player' and then I plugged in the drive, and it no longer is recognized properly. it comes up on my computer, but only shows as a 'g' drive and no longer has the little picture icon. i looked in my computer management and it shows it as 'healthy' but it doesn't appear to have a file system. i plugged in a similar drive and it shows as FAT32.

i don't think any of the things i downloaded would cause a problem, i got them all off cnet.

so.....i'm guessing my data is still there, but it can't read it because there is no file system

what can I do to make this drive work again, and not loose my files?

thanks in advance!

~wheelz01

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried connecting the drive to a different computer system...to see if it's properly recognized on that system?

To be honest...the fact that the file system is not properly reflected in Disk Management...is not good. If the file system is screwed up, there is nothing that can be done to repair it without losing the files which are on the file system...any repair effort of the file system will result in obliteration of anything which lies upon the file system/partition/hard drive.

I suggest attempting to use data recovery software (of your choice) to recover those files to another partition/drive...and then running a hard drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic (long, extended test) on the drive. The reality is that there may, in fact, be nothing wrong with the hard drive itself, but the problem could be the enclosure in which the hard drive is currently enclosed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users