Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer and PS3 suddenly stopped recognizing external HDD

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

I have an external HDD which was formatted to FAT32. I let my gf borrow it over the weekend and when I got it back and hooked it up to my PC, it no longer recognizes it. My PS3 doesnt recognize it either. I open up My Computer and it will not be listed. I don't care about the files I have on it because I already have it on my PC. I know it's not the USB because I know that slot works, since it recognizes my iPod. How can I fix this? I'm guessing I would have to format it. Can somebody teach how to reformat a drive that my PC doesnt even recognize?

Edited by g0tvtec, 01 September 2009 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:49 AM

I hate to butt in, but I just so happen to have the same issue with my 2gb USB flash drive. It worked perfectly fine yesterday, when I transferred some PS3 themes onto it from my mom's laptop. I know how to format it, but I don't want to lose those files if I can help it. My desktop won't read it either.

EDIT: I'm probably going to buy a new, bigger flash drive eventually, and I found out that all of my files have been backed up, just in odd places. I hope you can fix your drive!

Edited by rms4evr, 02 September 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

could be that the windows drivers are damaged
go to my computer and right click and go to properties and go thorugh the menus intill you find DEVICE MANAGER
find your usb and delete it and then restart the computer and then insert the usb in and let it install

did your gf say she did any thing ? like format it in a linux file system?
maybe the HD is dead

#4 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

I went to device manager and clicked on the Disk Drives subfolder which listed the following:

Generic- Compact Flash USB Device
Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device
Generic- SD/MMC USB Device
Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device
Samsung HD642JJ
Seagate Freeagent USB Device (My main external HDD)

Now the Seagate is not the one I'm talking about. I have another external HDD and I'm not sure which one on the list it is. It is a 2.5" 60GB SATA that I placed in an enclosure.

And my GF said everything was working fine when she used it. Maybe I left it out in the sun in the car for too long? It was only about 6 hours. The HDD does power up when I plug it in though since it has a light... And no, no linux.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:37 AM

its either:
Generic- Compact Flash USB Device
samsung HD642JJ

if its a samsung drive then its the samsung HD642JJ

#6 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

It's definitely not the Samsung because it is a Seagate HDD also. I will look into it more later this weekend when I have time.

#7 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

I don't think the computer recognizes it at all. Generic- Compact Flash USB Device is still listed even after I disconnect the HDD. Bad HDD or bad enclosure? I'm not sure.

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

oh its a It is a 2.5" 60GB SATA
well i just keep that their if you want to change a hard drive one day :thumbsup:
i guess you got to buy a new enclosure to make sure if its the enclosure
you can hear other ideas before you do that if you want from people

what kind of drive is it ? SATA ? or IDE ?
you can try plugging it into your computer

if its IDE then this will help
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm

at the time of installing the hard drive make sure that you discharge your self from static electricity (touch a piece of metal and don't be on a carpet or wear shoes)
search google if you don't know what i mean

http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-Yourself-to-...tatic-Discharge
says Keep the PC power cord plugged in to a (3-prong) grounded outlet and turn off the rocker switch on the back of the power supply.

i don't do that since the electric outlet may be damaged and will hurt you and some psu don't have rocker switches

Edited by starcraftmaster, 04 September 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#9 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

It's a SATA hdd. I definitely dont want to use it as an internal hdd since i have a lot of space already and 60gb isnt much. I can buy a new enclosure and see if it will work or i can buy a usb flash drive for a little more. I think ill go with the flash drive since its much smaller and more convinient to carry around.

#10 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

you have to use it has one
just to make sure if it works right and then you can take it out

#11 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:07 AM

I dont know how to install it. Can I put it in the expansion bay? Would taking apart my system void my warranty?

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

what i said before was a mistake , this is what i meant:: you only have to use it once to see if it works

any way
if you still have a warranty
then it may void your warranty
you will have to look in the Manuel or some thing

if the enclosures are cheap then you can just buy a new one then if you want

#13 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

Yea that's the dilemma I'm going through. Enclosures are $10-$15 while USB Flash Drives are about $30. I'd rather have the USB flash drive since it's much more compact.

#14 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:36 AM

Wow it started working after replugging it in 3 times. I think a good way to tell if it is the enclosure or the HDD that is going, listen for any spinning when plugging it in.

#15 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

The external HDD is acting very strange. When I plug it in, it would start spinning and work but when I try to open it and view files it, it would disconnect itself from the pc. I'm pretty sure it is HDD itself now and not the enclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users