Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Security Guide: Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pikamustdi

pikamustdi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi, I was advised to redirect my inquiry here:

REPRINT:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-total-security

Hello,

I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this. The above looked like the guide that could help me as my desktop is currently drenched in TS malware. I was going to try this guide but quick question:

For the iexplorer software to install to first disengage the TS process, is it done within the regular windows mode where Total Security is running rampant or in Safe Mode that I do all the stated instructions in the above guide?

See? It was a dumb question. Please don't laugh too loudly. -hides under keyboard embarrassed-

Michelle M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

Use the link in that guide you linked to to obtain Process Explorer and follow those instructions booted into normal Windows, not safe mode, unless it does not work in normal Windows

Then do the scan with Malwarebytes...

It can be downloaded from one of these places...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

alternate download link
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application. (If it will not download, install, or open after installation, change the name of it to whatever you want and change the .exe extension to .bat or .com or .pif or scr and then double click on it to run.)

When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings. When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected. Then click on the Scan button.
If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found". Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

After running that scan, post the complete log of the results here

Allow the program to remove whatever they find and if they tell you that you need to reboot your computer to complete the removal process, reboot into normal Windows.

Run this scan in normal Windows, not safe mode

Edited by Stang777, 01 September 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

If you have any real-time scanners such as Spybot S&D Teatimer function they should be disabled

If it will not run in normal mode, you can do it safe mode. Most tools are run in normal mode unless otherwise instructed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users