Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:06 PM
Hello, I am new here and have rarely posted to any public forum. I hope I am following the proper procedures.
I have been trying to help my father with his computer, which seems to be infected. On Saturday, he downloaded and installed a program called WinRAR; shortly after he started using it, his Antivirus Program (ESET NOD32) detected a suspicious file -- possibly named a.exe or b.exe (my dad couldn't remember). I think the AV program attempted to delete it. At this point, my dad got worried and called me. I did a bit of searching and found that corrupted versions of the WinRAR program contained trojans, so I tried to uninstall WinRAR using Windows Add/Remove Programs. Then I ran another virus scan, and it said no infected files found.
I thought everything might be okay, but while the scan had been running, pop-ups appeared (for gaming sites, I think), so I looked at the log of the virus scan and it appeared that almost all the entries were "file access denied". Curious, I tried to run MalwareBytes, which shut down as soon as the scan started and thereafter gave the error message "Windows Cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." This also happened when I tried to run HiJackThis.
I am by no means a computer expert, but I've found that in the past, researching and patient persistence will usually let me solve the problem. I think I am in over my head this time. These are the things I have tried: System Restore (last 2 Restore points) -- could not restore; rebooting in Safe Mode -- same problems with MalwareBuytes and HiJackThis, and Autoruns; using a program called Startup to disable Monopod>b.exe from starting -- repeatedly unsuccessful. I ran CCleaner, which didn't help, and downloaded and ran a program called Avira, which turned out to require purchase (and seemed suspect). I also tried to run some kind of spyware removal scan on the Microsoft website, but it shut down Internet Explorer during the scan, and then denied access to IE. Fortunately, Firefox seems to still work, although I noticed that many of the Google searches I tried were being redirected.
Mostly I have been searching on my own computer, which brought me here. I would be truly grateful for any assistance you can give me.
My father's computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 (about 1 year old), Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU,E2200 @ 2.20GHz, 1.18GHz 1.99 GB of RAM running Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2.
Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks, Julia