Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run chkdsk. Need to fix disk errors and file system errors.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattmurdock

mattmurdock

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Greetings, and thanks in advance for your time.

I need help figuring out how to address my disk errors and file system errors. Will you please help me figure out a way to run chkdsk?

I am posting a new topic here, at the instruction of my helper, HJT Team member 'extremeboy.'
Extremeboy suggested I post here to get specific expert help on a current symptom, which I am experiencing following a malware infection.
(My original topic, where I've received instructions from extremeboy, is here, along with recent DDS logs, other scan logs, etc:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248955/post-infection-further-help-needed-cant-run-chkdsk;-and-combofix-quarantine-question/ ).

My system Software details:
Windows XP Pro, Tablet Edition, SP3, all updates taken.
Firefox used for all my web browsing.
Windows Firewall running
AVG Free version running, updated regularly

My Machine details:
Gateway M280 tablet PC notebook
Celeron processor 1.60 GHz
504 MB of RAM.
Hard Drive is a Fujitsu MHV2040BH (which is SATA, I believe).

I need help finding an alternative way to run chkdsk.
During the scan processes that eradicated my malware infection, I was prompted several times to run chkdsk to address disk errors. I have also experienced some glitches with document files getting corrupted.

Unfortunately, I have been able to run chkdsk, despite many attempts. My issues and symptoms:

-When I schedule chkdsk to run at reboot, it does not run.

-My Operating System CDs are the Gateway Recoverty CDs for XP (not purely the Windows install CDs).
When I boot from them they do not provide any way to run chkdsk.
I am only given the option to do a complete reinstall, or to save files to a new area of the HDD and install a clean set of XP.

-When I boot from an original XP CD I bought, and attempt to enter 'r' to enter Recovery, I get this message:

"Windows did not find any hard disk installed.
Make sure the drive is on, is properly connected, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic program."

I am then told that Recovery can't run, and I have to just reboot.

I was unable to find any diagnostic program pertaining to my Fujitsu hard drive.

**Thank you for reading my request!
I sincerely appreciate your help.

-mattmurdock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Not sure why you would get that message when accessing the Recovery Console, that's typically a message that occurs when a user is trying to install XP on a SATA drive but the SATA drivers are not included in the install process.

XP Tablet Edition is considered to be a superset of XP Pro...so there's no version conflict.

That would seem to indicate that your hard drive is experiencing problems which Windows cannot solve.

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computi.../utilities.html

I would use Version 1.12, but it appears that either of the first two will do the job.

Louis

Don't bother with the short test, do the long/extended test.

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2009 - 03:08 PM.

#3 mattmurdock

mattmurdock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

OK, I did as you suggested, and used the Fujitsu disk diagnostic tool to run the Extended Test on my drive.

The diagnostic gave my drive a "PASS" on the test result.
Here is the result output from the tool:

++++
Model Name : FUJITSU MHV2040BH
Serial No. : NW56T6727CFM
Firmware : 00000028
Total LBA : 4A85300 h

Test Name : Extended Test
Result : PASS
Test Time : 18:19:47, September 02, 2009

The drive passed the Extended Test.
++++

So that part is good news, I suppose--
But it doesn't solve the mystery of all the 'disk corruption' warnings I have received during anti-malware scans, and the trouble I have had with files getting corrupted.

**Is there any way to obtain a simple Windows XP boot CD, so I can boot into it and run chkdsk on my hard drive?

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks again for your help.

-mattmurdock

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

If you bought an XP install CD...you have a boot disk.

All the tools of the Recovery Console are on that disk, along with the installation files for whatever version of XP.

If an installation disk won't work properly on your system, no other method of accessing the Recovery Console will either.

FWIW: File system errors...have nothing to do with the hard drive itself...running the disk diagnostic would not necessarily reveal such.

NTFS is the file system, while forms the basis upon which XP is installed. If your NTFS file system is corrupted...my experience is that the best thing to do is a clean install. Chkdsk /r can overcome some minor instances of NTFS corruption, but the problem is generally too large for chkdsk /r to be effective.

Kind of related, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246026

Louis

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users