Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS recommendation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 huyvu90

huyvu90

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'm look for a nas that could act as a file server and also as backup. Is there a NAS that has three bay where one hd is for serving and storing files and the other two for backup? I could get two nas and use one for file serving while the other for backing up but it would be better if I can do the same but with just one NAS.

How many backup location is considered as safe?

Edited by huyvu90, 01 September 2009 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedeacon

thedeacon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:32 AM

I'm look for a nas that could act as a file server and also as backup. Is there a NAS that has three bay where one hd is for serving and storing files and the other two for backup? I could get two nas and use one for file serving while the other for backing up but it would be better if I can do the same but with just one NAS.

If you would like to build your own file server you can use FreeNAS. There's also the Drobo if you'd like to spend some money.
Currently working on my CCNA and then towards Security.

The Network Technician

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

I'm using the Iomega StorCenter ix2. When connected, it displays its two 500-GB drives labeled "Public" and "Backup", although you can obviously use them however you want.

#4 tomdlgns

tomdlgns

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

you need a simple raid 5 array.

what i would do if i were you is buy a 4 port raid 5 card. rocket raid is a decent brand.

buy 4 hard drives, setup 1, 2, 3 as the drives that data is saved to and then setup the 4th to be the hot spare.

it will plug into the raid array and the second hard drive 1 2 or 3 take a crap on you, the 4th hard drive becomes active (on its own)

and the re build process begins.

might sound complicated, but it is very simple.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

I'm not going to recommend one NAS over another cause its each to their own. Besides, you can do what I would do, use Google like a mofo and research it. The NAS that Shawnw recommended I looked into cause he's having an issue with a printer hooked to it, looked kinda nice. The interface was really nice as well. For me expandability is on the top of my list of things to look for. Spending 2- 300 or more on a box I might grow out of doesn't sound good to me. But that's me. Figure out what you need/want it to do and find one with those features.

As far as backing up is concerned, I would recommend an on-site and off-site back up program if you have sensitive business info you simply can't lose. On-site a NAS would be good enough and off-site would be one of those online services like Carbonite or the like. If you are just talking about your personal stuff, you could back it up to a NAS but I would recommend backing it up to a removable storage, RW-CD/DVD or a thumb drive, that you can stick in a fireproof lock box or something like that.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 tomdlgns

tomdlgns

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

I'm not going to recommend one NAS over another cause its each to their own. Besides, you can do what I would do, use Google like a mofo and research it. The NAS that Shawnw recommended I looked into cause he's having an issue with a printer hooked to it, looked kinda nice. The interface was really nice as well. For me expandability is on the top of my list of things to look for. Spending 2- 300 or more on a box I might grow out of doesn't sound good to me. But that's me. Figure out what you need/want it to do and find one with those features.

As far as backing up is concerned, I would recommend an on-site and off-site back up program if you have sensitive business info you simply can't lose. On-site a NAS would be good enough and off-site would be one of those online services like Carbonite or the like. If you are just talking about your personal stuff, you could back it up to a NAS but I would recommend backing it up to a removable storage, RW-CD/DVD or a thumb drive, that you can stick in a fireproof lock box or something like that.

i agree with this. there are many NAS devices/configurations out there. you need to make a list of everything you need and go from there.

#7 UnifiedTechs

UnifiedTechs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

I don't have a particular model recommendation, but I will recommend a manufacturer Buffalo: http://www.buffalotech.com/home/

Been using there drives for me and my clients for years and very happy with them.
- Brian Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users