Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze - Hardware or Software?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

Recently my laptop has been freezing up, sometimes while I'm in the middle of something, others I'll have been away from my computer for a bit and return to a freeze.

Whenever it happens, I feel the back of the laptop, to see if the back is really warm, and it isn't, so I don't think this is a heating issue.

I have to hard reboot the laptop every time this happens, a couple times a day. Just a few days ago my hard drive got corrupted (most likely from being hard rebooted too many times) and I lost all my data, but I reformatted and retransfered files from my desktop to get it up and running again.

I know this can't be good for the laptop, but I can't find a way to prevent this from happening. Since it happens sometimes while the computer idles as well, I can't think its the RAM either.

Anyone have some insight as to what is going on here?

Edit: Forgot to mention if it helps at all, the laptop is an ASUS N70Sv

I saw someone in the ASUS forums post about their computer freezing, and assumed they had the same issue. The only response they got was to try updating the BIOS. I have BIOS version 205 on my laptop, and the 206 update had some fix regarding WLAN, but that's all it said. From what I've read, since I've never tried it- don't know how, upgrading BIOS can be dangerous and you really shouldn't try it unless you know it will fix something.

Edited by Mojinko, 01 September 2009 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

The way you describe it, it sure sounds like a heat problem
Any error messages at all?
The next time is does it, look in the Event Viewer for the last error and see what it says

Even though you reformatted, the drive still might have some bad blocks
Go to the manufacturer's support site and download their diagnostic utility and run it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users