Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security software-Potential conflicts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sabaithaime

sabaithaime

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:28 AM

I am concerned about potential incompatibility and conflict between antivirus and anti spyware programmes installed on my computer.

My computer seems to be running ok; I just wanted to seek some guidance to avoid potential problems

I have the following programmes installed on my pc:

Avast antivirus free edition
Comodo (firewall only)

Spyware blaster
Windows defender (with real time protection enabled)
Spybot search and destroy (on demand scanning only with all browser protection enabled)
Super antispyware (on demand scanning only)
Malware bytes (on demand scanning only

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:26 AM

Dont think so. May be not much use of S&Ds immunization features since using Spywareblaster. But should work even if overlapping http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....ighlight=spybot

If you get problems in Firefox then check sqlite files - and reevaluate S&D browser protection/immunize featue. Dont think it has been proven but some suspect 3rd party tools to be reason for corrupted sqlite files. May be excuse, dont know, but just remember it if browser suddenly dont seem to remember cookies or act strange. Used to be worse http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#In...curity_software could still be alive.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

Spybot immunize against many more items than SpywareBlaster. I use both with no conflicts.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

It does? Are you counting images, cookies, popups? S&D is very old school tool and numbers does not necessarily equal quality. A do-it-all-but-not-really-great-at-anything tool I think. Dumping S&D immunizing is not a major loss of anything but weekly somewhat updated blacklists which can be found elsewhere in few seconds :thumbsup: Try Adblock Plus and Easylist subscription for a start. Not really important unless Firefox files gets messed up and sabaithaime actually use Firefox ;) IE8 no longer has issue with long blocking lists in registry but still not settled if Firefox problem is relevant last I looked it up. Try install Sqlite manager, check integrity of sqlite files. If corrupted there is a problem. Very annoying since hard to fix unless database expert.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

Spybot immunizes against almost 80,000 items and SpywareBlaster immunizes against less than 15,000. I do not know or care what those items are, but the numbers are quite different which was my only point. I see no reason no reason to not use Spybot in conjunction with the other products I currently use and would rather just use it than spend any time manually doing what it does automatically. I am quite happy with the security products I already have and feel no need to add anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users