Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free low resource firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickboo

rickboo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hey all, I am wondering if anyone has tried the webroot desktop firewall that is now free or if some of you can give some names for a free low resource firewall. My computer seems to have an alergy to firewalls except for the xp firewall. I was reading some about the webroot firewall and like most, there are good and bad reviews. I have also read some good things about the ghostwall firewall, it says it is low on resources but it kinda looks complicated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:01 AM

You've already found the answer - Windows Firewall.

IMHO you should focus on preventing malware from entering your computer.

#3 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

Yes, your computer is only trying to protect you against the nonsense that is "better" firewalls.

But also cool if liking constant system monitoring - and of course has always went hand in hand with use of illegal software, may be Someones is unaware of the possible needs?, heh Highly relevant to mention though not directed at rickbo. Just saying that many do not care for security, are not control freaks or worse, do not buy silly arguments based on stories/promotion, and yet still tend to see the point of these programs. I certainly could when I tested such things for educational purposes... like using common sense while doing something stupid ;) Very much part of "security".

Well, try free Online Armor http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-prote...n-software.html is light and easy to use. There is another one called Outpost http://free.agnitum.com/ but I think a bit heavier and less intuitive. Personal preference I guess but fairly sure it is heavier on computer. Ive only used OA for 1 month on another computer not running right now but I usually find firewalls waste of time so must be good. Reviews can be ok but if you hate notifications/GUI you will not use program properly. Must go weee not sigh when popups appear.

After install check that XP firewall is disabled - and re-enabled if you uninstall. At least Outpost have problems with that. Should only have one running. Bugs and issues are close friends to firewalls. If you tried OA or whatever months ago, try again. Check forum, guides, changelog. You use router with build-in firewall? may be what is causing problems? Can conflict with software firewall. Deactivate, look for firmware upgrades. Search forums, Google. If a known problem official router-FAQs will of course suggest you uninstall/disable software firewall.

You know the famous test site for firewalls?, or promotion site, check that. Search for "leaktest" Pretty sure both are approved if not among the best. Still security in reverse or upside down but there you have reason to be worried and rush out and improve "security" :thumbsup: If zero interest in features perhaps you should settle for Windows and router, will make computer-life easier for sure.

Edited by Bambo, 01 September 2009 - 04:22 AM.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:28 AM

One of the uses of an outbound firewall that I like is that it gives you control over what programs are allowed to "call home". There are Windows programs, and other legit programs, that want to "call home", whether for updates or just for the heck of it, that you cannot stop from doing so without an outbound firewall.

I use very safe surfing and downloading practices, in fact I hardly do any, but I know it is still possible that something might slip by my virus protection and I could get some kind of infection and if that happens, my firewall should keep it from "calling home" with any of my information or sending invites for some of its malicious friends to come join it for a party on my computer.

I would never not have a firewall that provides outbound protection and the XP firewall does not have that and the one in Vista doesn't have good enough outbound protection.

I use ZoneAlarm and have for many years, but I have no idea how light on resources it is as I do not use the free version. The version I use of it is what came with the Antivirus program, but even with only 640 meg of ram, my system is not at all slowed down by it. The paid version of it comes with a few extras, like an operating system firewall that I really like, but the free version without that is still very good.

Btw, there is really no need to have alerts enabled on a firewall as it does no good. The firewall will block all attempts of intruders without you being notified every time and with the numerous attempts that happen, you will constantly be getting pop up alerts if you have them enabled. The only alerts I have enabled are for the operating system firewall and I get very few of those but with the free version of ZoneAlarm, that is not even an issue.

Edited by Stang777, 01 September 2009 - 05:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users