Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Picture Viewer/thumbnails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 savemeobiwan

savemeobiwan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello,

recently I noticed neither my Windows picture and fax viewer nor my thumbnail folder views are working. Double clicking on a file to open it with the default winpic&fax viewer results in nothing, nor does choosing it from an "open with.." menu on another picture type. Switching to thumbnail view does not generate a thumbnail.db file (yes I have caching on) nor do the thumbnails themselves show anything other than a generic placeholder.

The tricky part is, the solution all over the internet of regsvr32 shimgvw.dll in all its iterations does not fix the problem.

I'm pretty good with computers, which is to say I'm competent and familiar with them. I'm pretty sure my computer's clean of any type of virus or malware that could be causing this. I've run:

avast
drweb cureit
superantispyware
malwarebytes
windows defender
pavark antirootkit

in the past day just to be sure. They've found nothing.

I've tried unregistering shmedia & shimgvw, copying them from i386, replacing them from a recovery disc, replacing them from another computer - nothing. I've tried repairing the registry - nothing.

I cannot for the life of me fix this problem and everywhere else I've searched seems to need no further than the registering of that dll, but apparently I do. I found one old thread on this site where the problem might have been an automatic office xp update, and I did have one that was downloaded and installed on 8-18-09...however it can't be uninstalled and I haven't found anything supporting a problem with this update.

So...anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance,

saveme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Can you right-click a file, choose Open With and nominate picture and fax viewer?

Thumbs, open Folder Options/View. Is "Do not cache thumbnails" ticked?

#3 savemeobiwan

savemeobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you for your reply but I answered both of those questions in my initial post. I said it doesn't work from an "open with" menu; yes the option is in there but when I select it I get an hourglass for about 1/2 a second and then nothing.

I also specifically stated that yes, I have thumbnail caching on (the checkbox to disable it is empty).

At this point I've also run a chkdisk and a system file checker - still nothing.

I think I've run the gamut on all the common answers to this problem, anyone have anything off-the-wall?

saveme

#4 savemeobiwan

savemeobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:26 AM

Just to let anyone with a similar problem know, I've now solved this.

It was indeed the office update of 8-18-09 (that can't be removed). I removed the entire office suite from add/remove programs and then re-registered the shmedia and shimgvw dlls, and both my thumbnails and windows pic/fax viewer work fine.

saveme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users