Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Of Networks, Static IPs, and Port Forwarding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roberja

roberja

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi, all. First post. I'm running Vista HP. My roommate and I use a Motorola SBG900 wireless modem. I've been having some trouble with Bit Torrent lately and I thought it might be due to my SBG900 firewall. Long story short, I ended up wanting a static ip each for my roommate and myself. Portforward.com says I need a static ip to port forward and I desperately miss my Bit Torrent. I followed the directions on that site but to no avail. I simply have no internet connection once I complete the steps. Can anyone offer any advice? I'll gladly elaborate upon request. TY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

In your browser's address field, type 198.168.0.1 and press Enter. Enter login info (by default both password and username is admin)
Goto Firewall and select Custom policy. In the custom policy enable all preset policies.

Then add a new filter. Here you can enter all information for port forwarding.

In Port ID enter any name like BitTorrent
Check Enable
In Protocol type choose UDP/TCP
In port range enter any random port you want to forward like 65535 (in both fields). You will have to enter the same port in your BitTorrent client.
In protocol number enter any unused number
Check both inbound / outbound.
Click Apply.

Warning : Opening a port for torrent clients leaves you vulnerable to hacking attacks. You should use a good software firewall and keep Windows updated.

#3 roberja

roberja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:14 AM

I tried this to no avail. Thanks for your advice. Any other ideas?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Did you follow these instructions before? http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...BG900/eMule.htm

The instructions are for eMule but works similarly for BitTorrent.

How are you checking that port is not being forwarded? You should use this tool : http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users