Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scannig external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jnl

jnl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

my computer had a fatal system error. i had my files transferred to an external hard drive. i connected the hard drive to another computer and scanned it with ad aware. there was a level 10 threat which was deleted. ad aware said the computer needed to be rebooted in order for the threat to be eliminated but it did not say whether the hard drive should be unplugged or not. i did not unplug the hard drive. as the computer was shutting down the computer screen froze on an error message which said do not shut off the computer. this lasted several minutes eventually i manually shut it off and unplugged the external hard drive.
should i have unplugged the hard drive before i rebooted?
when i restarted the computer the system was ok i ran both ad aware and malware bytes and nothing was found. i'm concerned to try it again because i dont want to infect the second computer. what actions can i take to prevent that from happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

FWIW: Ad-Aware was once worthy of being installed for spyware/adware...that day is over. If you have Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware installed, updated, and running...along with a reliable AV program and all current XP critical updates...your system should be fairly well-enabled to deal with most malware items.

If you are asking...should you have unplugged the external drive before booting XP...the answer should be "yes" if your external drive has no on/off switch. Leaving it in an "on" state while booting...has been known to cause problems on some systems.

If the drive could be turned off with a switch...there is no reason to unplug it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users