Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot do a system Restore at any date, unable to get access to CD and CD/DVD drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smartwriter

smartwriter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

I cannot access my CD drive or my CD/DVD burner drive, (Gateway Computer, win Xp) it has a yellow error message. I did an an un-install for both drives, then went into new hardware and let it reinstall them- but it says it cannot find the drivers. I attempted to do a system restore and discovered no matter what date I choose, it will not let me restore- it says cannot restore and your computer has not been changed.
I do not use Norton- I have AVG the paid version, and Webroot Spy Sweeper. Some have said "look for a virus- but I haven't found anything yet.
I don't know what to do...
thanks for any help!
carlene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

Try uninstalling the IDE driver, reboot and let the OS reinstall it on reboot.

Go Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Click the plus sign to the left of the entry IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click on the entry Secondary IDE channel and select Uninstall. Close out of all the windows and Reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 smartwriter

smartwriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

Try uninstalling the IDE driver, reboot and let the OS reinstall it on reboot.

Go Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Click the plus sign to the left of the entry IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click on the entry Secondary IDE channel and select Uninstall. Close out of all the windows and Reboot.

I did that- and it reinstalled them but they still have the yellow warning next to them for my CD drive and my DVD drive neither works-
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
They came installed so I don't have disks for the drives-I've deleted them, reinstalled, tried to "update" driver, but it says it's the most recent driver- and I can't rollback the driver because there aren't any saved it says-
what now?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users