Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Windows normally or last known good configuration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hakrim

Hakrim

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

I recently had to replace my hard drive. Prior to that I had been having an issue with sometimes when starting up windows, I would get that screen informing me about some issue that caused windows from starting and then prompting me to either start normally or from the last known good configuration. Choosing either option would always result in windows starting up fine. But about a month or so ago, it finally happened and windows wouldn't start up, it just kept returning to the same screen. After calling HP, they said I needed a new hard drive and sent it to me.

Now just over a month later, I just restarted my computer and I got that black screen again with the prompt. I hadn't payed it much attention with the first hard drive since windows would always start up fine. But now I don't want to keep doing this and end up having to replace the hard drive AGAIN when I've only had it for a short period. After installing the new HD, I pretty much reinstalled all the previous programs that I had on the old one.

So my question is, is there anything I can do to figure out what is causing this screen to appear each time I try to start windows and how can I make it stop? Could it be a certain program I have installed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

It helps if we know...any/all error messages that contain clues that someone might be able to interpret.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users