Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG and Ad-Aware wont update; just finished cleaning computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 willow26

willow26

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

I just finished the topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/239868/avg-disabled-cannot-uninstall/. I took all the advice including downloading Online Armor. Today I started up my computer and there was an error on AVG saying it was outdated. I tried to update, it wouldnt work. I then tried to open and update Ad Aware to see if there was anything, that would not update either. I then updated successfully Malwarebytes Anti Malware, ran a full scan, nothing.

Note that AVG is enabled, it just won't update. So I am unprotected, and I just recently uninstalled and reinstalled on that last topic. What could be going on to cause this in two programs?!??

Please help, :thumbsup: I would really appreciate it, thank you so much for all your help.

Jessica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

When you tried to update AVG, did you get an error message of some sort? What did it say?

Also, please note that mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 willow26

willow26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Update Failed
The connection with update server has failed, please follow these steps:
Make sure our internet connection is active (obviously, I am sitting here writing you)
Try to run the update later (tried that)
Make sure the connection parameters are set properly (the parame-what?)
Try to find a possible solution in the FAQ section (tried that too)

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

I think the problem may lie with Online Armor; it could be blocking AVG's connection attempts. Check to make sure that AVG is allowed to connect to the Internet; check Online Armor's settings and look for a "trusted" or "allowed" programs list. If all else fails, you can try disabling Online Armor only for as long as it takes you to try and update AVG. Make sure you re-enable Online Armor immediately afterward.

Let me know if any of that helps. :thumbsup:

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 willow26

willow26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

It worked--thank you-- but is there any way to add avg to the list of allowed programs? It never asked me whether to trust it.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

I don't use Online Armor personally. . . but I did some looking. The following link should hopefully answer your specific question. Show me how to TRUST a program (Video)

However. . . it looks like the website there has an excellent tutorial on using OA. http://www.tallemu.com/webhelp3/ You should check it out; a firewall becomes much more effective once you know how to fully utilize it. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps,

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 willow26

willow26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hi Blade,

Unfortunately, that video and the tutorial only show how to trust a program that is on the list, not how to add a program that is mysteriously missing. However OA blocked yet another program, and this time I was able to find it on the list by unchecking the box "hide trusted." That showed me the 'trusted' program it was blocking. But oddly enough 'AVG update module' and other AVG things were on there as trusted and allowed. So I don't know why it would be causing a problem, also strange is that when I tried unsuccessfully to update AVG I did not get the notification on the tray that it was blocking a program. OA is supposed to notify me... so I am not sure what's going on, would appreciate any ideas, thanks

Jessica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users