Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have Total Security virus, suggestions are not helping

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jenniferwhatnot

jenniferwhatnot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

My computer is infected with the Total Security virus. I also had Windows Antivirus Pro but was able to remove it using an anti-malware program (Spyware Doctor). Spyware Doctor doesn't seem to do anything against Total Security.

I came to Bleeping Computer and got the instructions on how to kill Total Security using Malwarebytes.

I followed the instructions on removing Total Security that are given here. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-total-security) However, there is no "tsc.exe" viewable within the Process Explorer, so my efforts stalled out on that step. I am thus unable to kill the process and install Malwarebytes. Clicking on the installation icon completely crashes my computer. I am running Windows XP for what it's worth, and I use AVG, Spybot SD, and AdAware regularly(and now Spyware Doctor is installed as well) so I don't know how this got by my defenses.

Further, I tried starting the computer in Safe Mode and it will not allow me to do that; I assume the virus is causing that. I tried returning to a System Restore point but cannot access that feature on my computer either (assume virus again; I know it works because I've done it before). I really don't know what else to do and I don't want to do a complete system restore if I can help it.

At work today, I did find this thread on Total Security on your forums: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1400864

Should I go home and try those things, and report back here the results? Thank you in advance for any help; I've never been infected like this before.

EDITED TO ADD: I started a "new" thread because my problem seemed somewhat different from the other people's problems due to the dual infection. I hope this is not creating a thread hijack.

UPDATE: I came home and tried to download the RootRepeal and was blocked from that site no matter what browser I tried. Nothing I can download some files (such as Sophos Anti-rootkit) but cannot be installed. Should I call it a loss and reformat?

Edited by jenniferwhatnot, 31 August 2009 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users