Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Locking Up

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 scruffbag

scruffbag

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for my problems since on the face of it despite the scans and tests I've run nothing is showing up as wrong.

Broadly every so often my PC just locks up completely the only solution to which is to push the reset button. However, I'm beginning to think that it only locks up when I am using the internet.

I am running Windows XP without service pack 3 installed. My PC has an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3700+ with 1GB Ram, 2x 150GB internal hard drives, 1x 300gb external usb hard drive and 1x 1tb external usb hard drive. Video Card is Nvidia GeForce 6200SE TurboCache.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and Win Patrol. Since this problem started I have also installed Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware Free with Ad-Watch Live! turned on.

I have done a full scan with Kaspersky, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and Trend Micro's online scanner. None showed anything of real note, just a few cookies along the line somwhere. During all of these scans everything worked perfectly. However, the problem first arose when checking some web mail online and does seem to occur only when I am doing something online with more than one tab open in the browser. The lockups have occured while using Firefox, Opera, Flock and IE; all latest versions with the exception of IE which is version 7.0.

Have scanned hardware with PC Doctor 5 without which showed all OK.

As a last desperate attempt at solving this problem I have blown out the inside, which was full of dust, with an air aerosol and re-seated the memory sticks. Following this I re-ran PC Doctor. Have tried running the PC with the side of the box removed in case it was overheating but this seems to have made little difference.

I am typing ths on my wife's laptop in case my own PC goes belly up in the middle of this long post.

I hope that someone out there may have some idea of where to go next............ probably for a new PC I guess!

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Regards
Derek Smith

Addendum

Just been using Microsoft Expression Web for about 45 minutes on the machine mentioned above, while previewing a web page in Firefox computer locked up. However, this was not the first time I'd used the preview feature during this web site building session.

Edited by scruffbag, 31 August 2009 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

No error messages?

If not, sounds like overheating, IMO.

You might also check Event Viewer for error messages that might contribute, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ .

Last time you ran chkdsk /r and then defragged the system?

How much free space on C:?

How much RAM installed?

Louis

#3 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi Louis,

No, no error messages.

Just edited my previous post, it's locked up again.

Defraged C about a month ago, never have run chkdsk

27.5GB left on C

1GB Ram

In Event Viewer

For Application - Just A Warning, "The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid". No Errors
For System - Error Source Print "Sharing Printer failed + 1722 Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer share name Printer2".

That is not the printer we use anyway, that's an Epson which today isn't even turned on! That's about it from the Event Viewer from around the time it crashed and I reset last.

Does this mean anything to you? I have a house fan running now blowing air into the open case. Be interesting to see what happens!

I appreciate you taking an interest, it's all looking ugly and expensive to me though!!

Derek

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

OK, my next guess will be...power supply. Emphasis on guess, nothing more.

A PSU that's faltering would not produce any error messages but it could certainly result in lockups and other symptoms. I'm beginning to feel that a PSU tester should now be standard equipment for any computer user/owner interested in troubleshooting system problems that occur :thumbsup:.

How long have you been using the PSU that's currently installed?

How long has this random locking up been occurring?

Louis

#5 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

Power Supply did cross my mind.

I've dealt with two PCs in the past that were showing odd symptoms which were fine when a new power supply was fitted. In fact, come to think of it I have a relatively new one in my old PC, but it hasn't been used for about 4 years!

Maybe I'll fit that, from what I remember it's fairly straightforward to do. Mind you I guess it's as well to change like for like.

Oh, btw it's locked up again. Has been doing this since Friday; thought it was my optical wireless mouse at first because that seems to have developed a mind of its own recently. It isn't though, put a corded PS/2 mouse in it's place and while more predictable in it's movement the PC is still locking up

Derek

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

I would make that switch :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

I'll have a look at that tomorrow, let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Derek

#8 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

Well I'm really stumped now.

The power supply in my old computer will not power Sata drives so that was out. I got some more compressed air and gave the inside of the casing including all vents a good blow out. Plugged everything back into the box apart from my router - so no internet connection, and ran it and used it on and off for about five hours without a problem.

Next step was to reconnect the router and boot up. Within ten minutes it had locked up again. Having removed the router connection again I'm about to run a Kaspersky full scan (which did update during the ten minutes), ad-aware and spybot S&D again. I can't connect to the internet without it locking up, I'm typing this on my wife's laptop which uses a wireless connection to the same router and isn't showing any problem.

I am now wondering if this is a malware problem, does anyone have any further ideas?

Should this thread be moved to the malware forum perhaps?

Thanks
Derek Smith

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

If it locks up only when the NIC is used...then the NIC drivers may be corrupt.

I would try removing them (via Device Manager) and then reinstalling them anew.

I would also check Event Viewer for possible error messages re Internet connectivity...again :thumbsup:.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.windows-tech.info/15/2632006683942987.php.

Louis

#10 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

Sorry Louis but what are NICs?

I'll check for event viewer errors again, and the link that you posted.

Derek

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

Google is a great tool for...well, just about everything :thumbsup:.

NIC = Network Interface Card/Controller, http://compnetworking.about.com/od/network...g/bldef_nic.htm

Essentially, it's the device (on the system) which allows each of us PC-users to connect the PC to the modem/router/etc., whatever provides our signal so that we achieve being connected to the Internet.

Can be an actual additional piece of hardware which we install, more commonly (now) is part of the onboard features which are incorporated into the motherboard of a computer system.

May also be referred to as a LAN card, although the LAN (local area network) is really not a hardware item, but a concept from days gone by when computers in a given locale were all connected by direct wire. When I was in the Army and we went to the field for exercises...one of the first things we did was establish the LAN (computer network) between the varying elements involved in the exercise. Nowadays, most would call what used to be termed a LAN...an intranet.

See what happens when you ask a simple question :flowers:?

Sorry, it all runs together in my poor brain :trumpet:, which is why I suggest Google for such info/data.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#12 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for that. I think it's great when we wander of on tangents. You never know where you'll finnish up :thumbsup:

Refering to your earlier post I have two listings under "Network Adaptors";

1394 Net Adaptor
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

The first I understand is a firewire interface, the second seems to be the kiddie we need.

Is it just a matter of deleting it in device manager, re-booting and letting windows pick up the hardware and install the drivers automatically, or do I have to unistall the drivers then re-install them, if so the only place I can find a driver is here
http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-RTL8139-8...ncol;pop#rateit

Regards
Derek

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

It's always best to uninstall the current driver...and install anew...when there is an indication of possible driver corruption, IMO.

Louis

#14 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:51 AM

OK, we have an error message in Event Viewer under the System heading:

The IP address lease 192.168.0.3 for the Network Card xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP Server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)

This error is logged at just about the time I booted the pc last night just after I had plugged the ethernet cable back in. If you recall up untill that time it had run without problem for about 5 hours with the ethernet cable disconnected. My wife's laptop was running wirelessly with connection to the internet at the time so I'm gessing that her machine had taken the IP address 192.168.0.2 and that 192.168.0.3 refers to my desktop.

Having said this I was still able to access the internet for about 5 minute before everything froze.

I confess while I know what an IP address is I dont understand the rest of the message. Does this shed any more light on things do you think?

Thanks
Derek

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

DHCPNack - Broadcast by a DHCP server to a DHCP client denying the client’s DHCPRequest message. This might occur if the requested address is incorrect because the client moved to a new subnet or because the DHCP client’s lease has expired and cannot be renewed.

I can't offer anything useful about this sort of thing. I've received these errors before and I don't recall them as being consequential in impact, but I won't ask anyone to rely on vague feelings.

I am going to suggest that your thread be moved to the folks more knowledgeable about networking issues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users