Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista install help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

So this is not a long drawn out story I will get to the point. XP pro has been installed on the computer up to the product key activation screen, so that when I turn the computer on it has the windows xp opening screen. I decided to go with vista and I am wondering what I need to do in order to remove the xp from the computer and put vista on it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Warning:
1. Backup your important files on the partition which has Windows XP on it. Most probably it is first partition (C:). This is done to remove XP and install Vista.
2. The steps shown below would wipe out and format all data on first partition (or any partition you choose to install Vista)

You must have Windows Vista DVD for installation of Vista :

1. Set boot preferences in your computer BIOS, so that DVD drive is the first, hard disk is second boot device. If you have a newer PC, you dont have to change BIOS settings but press F12 during computer boot and then select DVD drive as booting device.
2. Place DVD in your DVD drive.
3. Your computer would detect DVD and you would see Press any key to boot from DVD.... Press any key to run Vista setup.
4. When it asks which type of installation do you want select Custom.
5. Next you will have to choose a partition. Choose the same partition as you have used for Windows XP for example Disk 0 which is C: drive. This action would wipe out your C: drive. Click Next when you select the partition. Choose to full format in NTFS.
6. Rest of the installation is easy, you dont have to do anything.

Just remember to:
1. Backup your databefore you install Vista
2. Steps 5 is very important to remove XP and install Vista.

For more information : http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_vista.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users