Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Program conflicts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curundu

curundu

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

Can anyone tell me if I have a conflict between security software I've downloaded to detect and eliminate some malware on my computer? I'm using Vista Premium and here's the software in question: Online Armor; EMSI (A-Squared); AVG. Also, does any of these conflict with Windows Defender, which, I think, comes with the computer? All of these are Virus and Malware detectors and were free. To be honest I'm not sure where I got Online Armor and if this program already comes with the machine or not. Can anyone recommend the best security software, preferably free of course, but will consider buying a good one.
Much Thanks.
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi there curundu, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

I've never used Online Armor, but a cursory Google search leads me to believe that it's an adequate Firewall. A-Squared and AVG (I believe) both offer realtime anti-malware scanning. This could be a problem since you should never run two antivirus scanners simultaneously. Consider dropping one or turning off its realtime scanning feature.

For an excellent list of free software, including security software, visit our List of Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps.

PS
Moved from Programming to AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

#3 curundu

curundu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

Thanks Andrew.
If I use Online Armor should I turn off Windows Defender?
Thanks again,
Dave

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

I don't think so. Online Armor is a firewall whereas Windows Defender is an anti-malware scanner. No conflict that I can see.

#5 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Well may be if OA is free for 1 year and really is a paid version? Since possible it came with computer it might not be true free version. Paid "firewall" package is just as much security suite as Norton! If regular free version there is no problem http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-prote...n-software.html If paid version you might get away with disable those poor scanner modules, dont know for sure. Impossible to avoid overlapping features. You most likely already have a little now with Defender. Startup entries, IE protection, certain driver installations - cant remember OA settings but probably in there. They all want your attention.

A-Squared do not have resident or "live" parts in free version according to this http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/compare/ so should be ok. Last I tried it I got annoyed about too many false positives, just so you know. Seems like database is huge so mistakes unavoidable. A bit too much though. Might have improved and of course depend on your setup vs. A-Squared. Just dont freak out if hits are high.

Ive noticed local certified malware geeks are very busy warning against free AVG since it does not detect rootkit. Is taken off "recommend lists" for same reason, and a few more... Up to you but remember Avast is close to release new version which look very nice. And Microsoft also soon release new free Antivirus/antispyware (replaces Defender completely). Both at least on AVG level or better. Both should be out in october, so at least 2 good free alternatives.

AVG vs. Defender, link is gone but they say there is no problem except during install where you should disable Defender and UAC. Strange, but they say AVG can have trouble installing startup entries properly. Seems like excuse for bad installer - and most likely of zero importance to you.

If you want a firewall with extras I think you already have the best - even if you dont know where it came from! That is has not messed you up by now is partly why it is good :thumbsup: Rest is not any easier that is for sure. Very much a personal choice and all depend on setup. Can be invisible or highly visible. May be you should check Vistas firewall is disabled, OA could have messed up during install - will not correct or warn after that I think. Check security center which warns against 2 software firewalls.

Edited by Bambo, 01 September 2009 - 03:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users