Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Probable Malware Infection [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joemdl

joemdl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

A couple of days ago, I started noticing that clicking on Google search results did not take me to the actual link, but to all sorts of other, commercial pages (I can get around this to some extent by getting the addresses and going directly or using the cached page, when available). As I searched relative to this problem, I found various suggestions, such as run HiJackThis or Malwarebyte's AntiMalware or RootRepeal. I am able to download and install these programs, but they will not run. Trying to make them run gives me a "You don't have permission" message. More research suggested, for instance, renaming the executable for AntiMalware -- that didn't work as I was denied access. I re-downloaded AntiMalware and saved it to a flash memory stick, and was able to rename the executable there. I was able to open it, but as soon as the scan started, the program was terminated. The same was true of RootRepeal, and I tried running your DDS, but the scan was immediately terminated. I've also noticed that in my anti-virus software (AVG 8.5) the email scanner is not activated, and I am unable to activate it. I've successfully run AVG scans, and they turn up nothing. I am running Windows XP. Please let me know what further info is needed, and please HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joemdl

joemdl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

Since I posted the above, I downloaded and ran ComboFix, which deleted some files. I was then able to run AntiMalware from my flash memory stick, without it shutting down, and it found no infected objects. The problem with re-direction from Google seems to be fixed as a result of what ComboFix did. However, I am still unable to open AntiMalware or HiJackThis from my hard drive (I continue to get the "Windows unable to access" message), and I am still unable to re-start the Email scanner on AVG (Following instructions from an AVG forum, I went to the local services list, checked that the scanner was on automatic, and hit "start" for the service. The message I received was that the service was started and then shut down). There seem to be a lot of people having problems with the email scanner on AVG, so it is possible that this is a separate issue from the others. Any ideas?

#3 joemdl

joemdl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hello again. I re-installed the AntiMalware and HiJackThis software and they now open and work fine. Apparently whatever ComboFix removed had done something to these programs on installation to prevent their running. Now the only problem I have is the AVG email scanner. If anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users