Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a deal? Is the Toshiba dependable?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Not me

Not me

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

Hello,
I need a little help.
The local office supply is having a sale on a Toshiba satelite laptop. A nice looking machine. It has the Intel T4200 processor,DVD burner,3GB of memory,250 GB hard drive,15.6" screen and WIFI. Nothing for programs,but its only 450 bucks.
I'm wondering if the Toshiba brand is any good. I know 450 bucks doesn't buy much.
My old Dell 600m is getting ready to shoot craps after 5 years of use. Seeing how the Dell was over $1500.new, that comes to about $300 a year to own it. If the Toshiba only lasted 2 years,I'm ahead over buying another high dollar Dell. (I did buy my daughter a Dell 1525 not long ago. I wasn't impressed at all with it). So I think I'd like to try another brand this time around.
Then there's the Mac's. I must admit that I'm tired of having to spent 50 or $60 a year for anti-virus software. Since Mr. Gates has no intention of fixing his operating systems so they do not fall pray to those whom wish to infect them,or to pay for the protection they need,I have to give the Mac's a hard look. But there's no Mac for $450, that's for sure.

But for now it would be nice to know what the feelings are about the Toshiba.

Sorry,I didn't get the model number.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

Hi Not me,

I'm a happy Toshiba user for 5 years now and, knock wood, don't expect this machine "to shoot craps' soon. Probably buy another one when it does.

By the way there is no need to pay 50 or $60 a year for anti-virus software. Check this site and you'll find a lot of free alternatives: Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

:blink:

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

I've got two Toshiba's, a 17" about 3 years old, and a 15" about 2 months old. Good machines, no problems, and I disagree, $450 can now buy a quite good, robust laptop.

Falu is right on with the security, no need to spend unless you just want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users