Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Police Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 L4ughter

L4ughter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

I have no idea what website this came from but I'm sure it got it from using Internet Explorer for a few seconds (usually use Firefox).

This thing keeps alerting me about "viruses" on my computer such as "Virus.Win32.Gpcode.ak" and asks me to pay money to remove it.

I've been trying to remove it all day.

When I first got it I had several processor intensive programs running (a MMO, web browsers, etc.), so I decided to restart my computer and then tackle the problem. Upon restart none of my virus scanners would start. In fact no .exe file would start I believe.

Then I decided to restart and boot in Safe Mode. On another computer I read people (this forum actually) suggesting Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I already had it on my computer, but I could not start the program. I kept getting a command-prompt like window titled: C:\System32\desote.exe and in the window it said something like, "This program's memory is too large" or something. So I went into system32 and deleted desote.exe. The program still wouldn't start, so I uninstalled MBAM from the control panel, downloaded a new installer from another computer, put it on a flash drive, and then put the on my computer (had to reboot on standard mode). I then rebooted in safemode and installed/tried to get it to work/uninstalled multiple times. I also booted on standard mode a few times as well. At one point, my computer looked like it was on Safe Mode even though it wasn't. It had the black screen in the background (though without the words Safe Mode) and only my Documents window would pop up (no taskbar, etc), but the resolution was still my regular resolution (1620x1050). Eventually I got MBAM to work and it removed several files. Now when I boot in regular mode I get my normal desktop, although the taskbar theme seems to have changed.

Anything you guys can do to help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Another rogue security system seems to have installed itself: "Protection System." This one keeps trying to uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Oh and I have subscribed! :D

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention, many times when I restarted my computer, I'd get the Safe-Mode-on-Regular-Mode and then a couple seconds later the computer would blue screen. I don't have the error code but it said that Windows stopped itself to prevent harm.

Edited by L4ughter, 31 August 2009 - 12:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 L4ughter

L4ughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Someone please help? :S

I found the blue screen error:

Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8CB55072, 0XA46FF018, 0X00000000)

#3 L4ughter

L4ughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

I'm running Windows Vista x86 Home Premium Edition SP1.

#4 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hello, please note I am not a staff member here, but perhaps I can help get things started.

Would you post the log you got from the Malwarebytes run, so they can see what got removed?

Also, from the symptoms you describe, I think you'll need a RootRepeal log as well. Here's a guide to using it (re boopme):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1407111

Good on you for subscribing :thumbsup:

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users