Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezing randomly and often

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 ajsmom

ajsmom

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

I have been working with TheWall over at the antimalware forum, and after having run as many scans and logs as we could get to work, I have been referred here for further help. Here is a link to my original post for help and all the logs, scans and discussion we have had so far. I would really appreciate any help you have to offer, and will gladly give you any further information you might need.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1406439

Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

This does sound like an over heating problem.

Lap tops can have anywhere from one to several cooling vents. Sometimes they are located on the side(s), back, bottom or any combination. At least one of which will have an exhaust fan to draw the hot air out of the unit. Can you locate the exhaust vent with the PC running and feel if hot air is exiting from it? A little trick I use is a lite cigarette to see if the smoke is being drawn in or blown away. A good indication of air flow. A freshly extinguished match, candle, etc. will accomplish the same thing if you are a non-smoker.

Also, a fan may be visible in some of the vents. If so, can you see if the fan(s) are spinning?

My guess is the fan(s) have quit. If this is the case then my suggestion is to no longer use the lap top until it is replaced. Heat kill`s PCs, especially lap tops which are much more susceptible to it due to their compact design which decreases internal air flow.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

The first thing to do is to get a can of compressed air from the office supply store
Stick the nozzle in the vent slots and blow the out
Both ways, on the side and underneath
It's best to do this outside

Edited by garmanma, 30 August 2009 - 09:09 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

I will check those things out and try the cleaning with air. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the replys,
Lisa

#5 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

Hey! Wanted to give you the run down on what I have done today. First, I had some time, so I sat down and completely took the laptop apart. I cleaned each piece with a soft brush, followed with a blast of air to get anything I could not see or get to. It was really dirty, but now it is Clean. I got it all back together, and to my surprise, it still turns on... I was a bit worried, had never done that. So, I boot up and try it out, still freezing! I decided that I would remove McAfee, because I had read somewhere that it was having conflicts with Windows updates, so I tried that and it froze again. I got the bright idea to start it up in Safe Mode and it did that ok, so I removed McAfee there, and also a few other things that I don't really use. It worked... no freezing in safe mode. Hummm... So, I downloaded SpeedFan (I think that is it) and ran it. I suppose you know what it is, but if not, it tells you what the temps are inside the computer. Well, it said that mine is hot, about 125 degrees, and even shows a little flame icon. Then I clicked on the fan speed tab and it shows nothing. Does not even give me a fan to select, so, I am wondering if my fan is not working. I can not see it from the outside. I can feel air on my hand when I hold it up to the vents, but not a strong flow. (I just checked with hubby's laptop fan, and it feels about the same as mine) I don't hear any powering up or down, just the constant hum.

Anyway, I restarted the laptop into normal mode, and it seemed to work pretty good. Still on the sluggish side, but no hangups for an hour or so. I went to the Dell website and updated my bios... I had done this before, but was not sure if it had "taken", because of all the problems, but this time it seemed to install fine. I ran an antimalware program and deleted 3 suspicious files. Everything still works, no freezing. So now what do I do next? How do I test to see if the fan is really working or not, or if it needs to be replaced. (If I need a new one, any good places to buy them?)

I will be waiting for your reply, I am a little hopeful now, and I had just about given up on it. Let me know what I need to do, and I will do it!

Thanks,
Lisa

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Congrats on you successful dis-assembly\re-assembly of your machine. :thumbsup: I know many a Bench Tech. that have worked on PCs for years and still dread servicing lap tops.

If you can feel air exiting then the fan is working. Where is the lap top setting when you use it? A hard flat surface is best. A soft surface of any kind is not a good idea. It blocks the need`d air flow.

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 September 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#7 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thank you! I was fairly proud of myself...I really was worried about getting it back together, but no problems there.

I can feel a little stir of air, and it is pretty warm air. I normally use a cool pad underneath when I am using it. If not, then I try to put it on a book or something flat and hard.

LS

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

The next thing I would start looking at is running process`s.
Right click on your task bar then click on Task Manager. At the bottom how many are shown running?

#9 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:46 AM

It says that I have 63 running. How do I know which ones I can turn off? I looked at them and a lot of them I don't recognize.

LS

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

It says that I have 63 running.

:inlove: 63 on WinXP? IMO that is a big load on a machine. There are many short-cuts to disabling start-up items. None of which I recommend. :thumbsup:

The long way is doing a Google search for each unrecognized process. Then once decided if you want it running at start-up or not you can usually find a setting with-in the program in question to disable it from starting up with Windows.

MSCONFIG is another option, I do not recommend, but many do use it.

There is also StartUpLite. It seem`s to do a nice job. I have not seen any ill effects on PCs I have used it on.

I prefer the "longway". :trumpet: Then again I`m a control freak when it come`s to my PCs and what I install. :flowers:

#11 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

OK... I will try to disable some of them... if I can get a list of them, would you be willing to look it over and tell me if there are any you recognize as VERY IMPORTANT? I don't want to screw it up worse.

In your opinion, about how many should be running? I know you can't say 10 and that be it, but what is a normal number?

Thanks,
Lisa

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:26 AM

You are right. It is impossible to give a number.

On a Desktop which has better cooling just by it`s larger nature this probably would not be an issue. Other then slower start-up times and higher resource usage.

Like I said, I`m a bit "anal" when it comes to un-need`d things running at start-up. None of the 6 XP machines in my care, 4 towers, 2 laptops have over 28 processes running. 3 have 25 or less. This includes an anti-virus, anti-malware, 3rd party firewall on several, windows firewall on others. T have heard of people running with less.

If you want to take the time to make the list, I have a 3 day weekend to look it over. A list from msconfig would be helpful too. To get to msconfig; Click on start, click on run, type in msconfig. Go to the Startup tab. I am guessing this will be a bit of a long list as well.

Also, do you have a printer of any kind installed? Knowing this may help me identify some of the start-up process`s and whether they are need`d to run at start-up.

Edited by ThunderZ, 05 September 2009 - 06:27 AM.

#13 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Morning! Here are the lists... I had to just type them out on the other computer. If you need more info, let me know. I do have a printer installed, a Lexmark. I noticed that several things are on the list multiple times. Don't know if they should be or not. I appreciate your time and knowledge on this. Have a great long weekend!

Lisa

MsConfig

Ehtray
Igfxtray
Hkcmd
Igfxpers
Syntpenh
Wltray
Stsystra
Ctsvolfe
Isuspm
Issch
Pcmservice
Msascui
Qttask
Lxbabmgr
A Blank ONE - the space is there and shows a location, but no name
Google desktop
Reader_sl
Googlequicksearch
Netwaiting
Dsagent
Ctfmon
Googletoolbarnotifier
Isuspm
Atomicalarmclock
Digital line detect
Microsoft office

Task Manager

Ctfmon.exe
Googledesktopindex.exe
Lxbabmon.exe
Dsagnt.exe
Netwaiting.exe
Googlequicksearchbox.exe
Reader_sl.exe
Googledesktop.exe
Lxbabmgr.exe
Msascui.exe
Pcmservice.exe
Ehmsas.exe
Ctsvolfe.exe
Stsystra.exe
Wltray.exe
Igfxsrvc.exe
Syntpenh.exe
Igfxpers.exe
Hkcmd.exe
Ehtray.exe
Alg.exe
Wmiprvse.exe
Taskmgr.exe
Wuauclt.exe
Msiexec.exe
Wmiprvse.exe
Wscntfy.exe
Explorer.exe
Mcrdsvc.exe
Svchost.exe
Svchost.exe
Dllhost.exe
Dlg.exe
Atomicalarmclock.exe
Svchost.exe
Reflectservice.exe
Isuspm.exe
Svchost.exe
Scchost.exe
Msmpeng.exe
Svchost.exvchost.exe
Lsass.exe
Services.exe
Winlogon.exe
Csrss.exe
Nicconfigsvc.exe
Smss.exe
Mdm.exe
Ehsched.exe
Ehrecvr.exe
Lexpps.exe
Svchost.exe
Spoolsv.exe
Lexbces.exe
Bcmwltry.exe
Wltrysvc.eve
Googletoolbarnotifier.exe
System
System idle process

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

Going to start going over them now. Barring any unforeseen interruptions I should be able to post back in a couple hours.

#15 ajsmom

ajsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thank you! I will check back often.

Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users