Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Amy0

Amy0

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

I have an old (really old) Dell that has XP on it. The other day I cleaned it up (non-critical programs and files) so I can sell it to a friend. It worked fine and then the friend took it home and deleted two out of three user accounts that were on it. Then he restarted it and it's stuck in a boot loop. I don't have a recovery disk. How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

I would try removing the CMOS battery or resetting the CMOS jumper...to return the system to default CMOS settings. That might break the loop.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/59309/

At what point does the system reboot?

Louis

#3 Amy0

Amy0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

I did try to remove the CMOS battery and that didn't work. The Dell Screen comes up and the white load bar gets at 100% then it restarts itself and does it over and over.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

Worth a look:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...030A68F73281D97

Just follow the steps...You may be able to resolve it this way...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

Try booting in safe mode, keep pressing the F8 key on startup, If this does not work, then try the following steps,

If you have a Microsoft windows XP CD at hand, then use it to boot to the recovery console, http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

Type the "chkdsk /p /r" (without quotes) command in the command prompt windows, allow the scan to finish.
Note: Do not interrupt the scan in any way.

Once the scan finishes, exit from the console, remove the CD and reboot computer.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

Amy0

Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.

If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.

Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
-----------
If the above fails ...
The next thing you should do is to get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).

Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key. Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Amy0

Amy0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Amy0

Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.

If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.

Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
-----------
If the above fails ...
The next thing you should do is to get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).

Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key. Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.

Hmm I tried last known good config and when that didn't work tried disabling auto restart on system failure. That didn't work either it's just doing the same thing.

#8 Amy0

Amy0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

Okay I am getting a quick flash of an error message I noticed. NTDETECT failed

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

Okay I am getting a quick flash of an error message I noticed. NTDETECT failed

Try this ...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...d-resolved.html

Edit: Can you borrow/beg if necessary, an XP installation disk, and it doesn't seem to matter whether Pro or Home version ...
There are other ways ... but this would perhaps be the most simple, if you can conveniently get hold of one for a short time.

Edited by AustrAlien, 31 August 2009 - 01:54 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users