Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't allow anything to work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jouvk

jouvk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Recently, one of my mom's friends came to use my mom's computer and decided to download Korean drama (shareware/free/peer to peer) onto my mom's computer without permission.

i've had trouble before with korean programs (they load your computer with spyware and viruses) so i told him to be cautious about what he's downloading and that he
should stop soon before something extreme happens.

He left the house about 2 weeks ago, but my mom started complaining that the computer is not working anymore. I checked for the first time today and nothing
seems to work. When i open programs, a cmd box shows up saying "program to big to fit in memory" and then closes by itself. i can go through windows explorer (folders, etc.)
but i can't seem to open programs. Task manager is also disabled ("by administrator"), cmd dosen't open either, and niether does regedit. I just tried safemode (in all three modes)
but i get sent to the memory dump page (A.K.A. blue screen of death). Last known configuration also dosen't seem to work, same problem just stays.

I'm thinking about reformatting, but it's my mom's files that i have to save. (and reformatting is such a hassle)

Computer is a Dell vostro 200 w/ windows xp home (never reformatted or touched since factory)

I am very acknowledged in computers (at least for a kid my age), so any type of information would help. I'm assuming that i need a boot disk that can remove the viruses.
i will try to fix on my own for now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

What is the exact content of the BSOD screen error message?

If you have .dmp files...you can try following the procedures spelled out at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

As for backing up...I'd be more concerned about a possible infection, based on what you have posted so far. That's the issue I'd give my attention to, courtesy of posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/. I'm going to recommend that your thread be moved there.

As for backing up...that's supposed to be done before disaster strikes. Sometimes user get lucky and are able to salvage file after such happens, but there's no guarantee of such. Backing up a system suspected to be infected...seems counterproductive, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users