Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

I might need to upgrade to Vista Ultimate in the near future (something about compatibility with programs at my college??), but it would really be a pain since I would have to install all my programs again. It would not normally be a problem except that I'm not exactly close to home, and don't want to have to get all the disks sent to me. Is it possible to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate without doing a clean install? Would I also need a special disk, or would a normal installation disk work?
"Testing leads to failure, and failure leads to understanding."
Burt Rutan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Insert your Vista DVD in your DVD drive. Vista setup would start running, choose Install now.
Click next till you reach on screen to choose Vista editions. Choose Vista Ultimate from the options.
When you reach a point when it says ,"Which type of installation do you want?", choose Upgrade. Then click Next and follow onscreen directions.

Note : If you get a message that Upgrade has bee disabled, then you are out of luck. Your Vista DVD is not for upgrade.

Would I also need a special disk, or would a normal installation disk work?

It depends if you have full Vista install DVD which has all flavors of Vista (Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, Business etc) all you need is a different license key. You can upgrade from this kind of DVD. I have seen some DVDs have only a particular edition like Ultimate or Home. They cannot be used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users