Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer, dodgy sound

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bradius80

Bradius80

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Compaq Presario CQ60 and i'm having an issue with the sound card but I can't find a solution on how to fix it anywhere. Everything else in this computer performs wonderfully, but the sound can often get rather dodgy.
Sometimes, when playing a game or music, the sound will become garbled for 15 seconds or so before going back to normal. This will happen anywhere from every few seconds to once a minute or so. If i'm playing a game like World of Warcraft for example, when things are quite and there's little noise going on in-game the sound will garble. As soon as I perform an action that uses a lot of sound channels (like attacking or opening bags) the sound resets every time and goes back to normal for another minute or so before garbling again.
Another thing i've noticed is with music. When playing music that is soft, relatively quiet and not using many sound channels, the sound garbles every time. As soon as the music begins to pick up in volume and intensity, or if the song is loud from the start (like a heavy metal song) the sound resets to normal every single time. As far as I can tell, the sound issue is stemming from the computer using minimal sound channels, as there's no garbling whenever its playing sounds or music using many sound channels at once.
I've heard rumour that the sound cards being built into these particular laptops is incompatible with Vista and the root of the problem (which apparently nobody has found a cure for yet, and HP refuses to create a driver that will make it compatible), but these are only rumours and i'd like to get to the bottom of this problem if I can rather than just accepting a rumour that may or may not be the cause and just live with my sound being bad.
So far I've searched the web every day for a solution using every search parameter I can think of to no avail. I've tried updating the sound drivers, removing the device in device manager and reinstalling the sound card and drivers and even a few sound-enchancing softwares that claimed to fix problems like this but so far nothing.
It's really starting to get on my nerves, as every now and then the issue will disappear completely and I have no idea what I did (if anything) to make it stop. The sound will be perfectly fine with no hiccups for anywhere up to a few weeks before the problem resurfaces again and stays around for the next month. The computer has been doing this since the day I bought it, and the reason I suspect the rumours I read about compatibility issues is that my wife has the exact same laptop as I and hers hasn't shown these symptoms thus far. I've never had a computer with a sound issue like this, all my previous computers either had bad sound or good sound all the time, not intermittently like this.
Please, if anyone has the same issue and has found a way around it, or at least knows what the cause may be, let me know as its driving me insane and it's making playing games (which is the reason I bought this thing to replace my very old desktop) nigh impossible if i want to hear whats going on in them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users