Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Behavior with XP Home

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

So after I finally got my laptop working again my desktop (dell e310) started acting weird.

There are 4 user accounts and all the accounts seem to freeze at startup. I mean the icons next to the clock (task tray or whatever), only a few load and show up and it seems they click IE or anything and itll than immediately freeze. But its odd in that JUST the Start button, any tabs there successfully opened, and the clock icons freeze. Desktop wise you can click the icons however they dont open.

But then again, on my account I can click my computer and such and itll just have a flashlight looking for the folder. Odd. My clock icons dont all load either. If I X out of the my computer itll then proceed to freeze.

Although going into safe mode there is no lag or freezing.

My thoughts are and Ive done a lot with computers so Im pretty computer literate is that either there is a virus, or a possible drive failure. Not sure though.

Any thoughts? And no I dont have AV on that computer as I didnt think they were visiting areas that were malicious.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

You dont have ANY Virus protection at all?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

I may not be a BC advisor, but I'm pretty sure I don't have to be one to say this. AT LEAST get an on demand scanner for when problems such as this arise. You know how easy a rootkit could get on your computer with NO antivirus? Go to a webpage that has a weird, foreign address, and appears to be a blank page. It is THAT simple! Here is what I use, and personally recommend to you, and it won't cost you a dime...

For Antivirus... I use Avast 4.8 Home Edition. Free, light on system resources, and has some of the best detection rates for an antivirus.

For Antispyware... I use Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition. Also free, good detection rates, and doesn't slow your computer down.

For an on-demand scanner... I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. One of the best scanners ever made, the free version WILL NOT PROTECT YOU, but it will wipe out quite a few infections that others can't. Scanning time takes a while, but which would you rather have, an infected computer, or a computer thats clean, even if you had to wait a bit?

Plus, all of them are easy to use.

AT LEAST get an on demand scanner like MBAM or SUPERAntiSpyware

Homepages:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

http://www.lavasoft.com/ (Ad-Aware)

http://malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Surf Safe!
ComputerNutjob

#4 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

So you think I should burn them to a disc then boot into safe mode and run them?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

<<I may not be a BC advisor, but I'm pretty sure I don't have to be one to say this.>>

LOL...no one has to be an "advisor" of any sort on a community forums such as this...and certainly anyone, member or casual passerby...can provide opinions, suggestions, comments, etc.

I know that some forums function differently (I can think of one, in particular) but at BC, users/members/visitors are expected to participate not just when they have seemingly unsolvable problems...but in the the spirit of a forum.

My concept of advisors, moderators, HJT team members, et alia...is that those positions exist so that the person examining the input/suggestions/advice...can evaluate it as being distinctly different from the ramblings of someone who just awakened to find that the Internet exists and that he/she can express various ideas/emotions/concepts on it. More than anything else, I believe it's meant to identify the intent of the person with the title as a person who is trying to help, rather than just shout for the sake of shouting.

It doesn't make any of these administrative designations apt to be any more personally privy to knowledge...than any other poster...but it should reflect that there is a knowledge base of some sort existing in that person...that probably validates her/his opinions on some matters. Those opinions do not have to be received as if they are the Ten Commandments Straight From The Big G...nor do they have to be dismissed out of hand as the ravings of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Continue to participarte...in the spirit of community forums :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'm not a advisor or any thing but a member of this site. Most of what I have learned about computers is from trial and error and this site. Imho I would take the advise of ComputerNutjob and get a anti-virus and fire wall on your computer. Two or three on demand anti-malware and anti-spyware. There are many free wares that do a great job. No program can do it all. I have done three scans today and found things and got rid of them. I do this about twice a week. A happy computer makes a happy computer owner. Yes you can find time, while eating dinner, taking a shower, mowing the lawn, ect.

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

its hard to get them on the computer when it freezes :thumbsup:

anybody know of a way of downloading avg's update virus definitions separately from the avg program?

aka

download avg, download the updates. burn them to a cd. boot into safe mode on weird acting computer and then install them.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

You should have the option of safe mode with network support. If the PC allows for it then I believe you can access IE to perform your download\install\update. After that is completed I would disconnect from the Net to perform the scan.

One other thought. This does slightly resemble a possible overheating problem. Have you had the side off of the case to insure all vents\fans\heat sinks are free and clear of hair and dust build-up as well as all fans are working.

#9 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

ive never used safe mode with network....

and i have 3 cats guess i should check out the vents :thumbsup:

#10 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

i booted into safe mode with networking and downloaded avg. I was unable to download the update file though.

I ran avg through command prompt and it found alittle spyware but that was it.

any more ideas?

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Did you get an error when trying to update AVG?

Are you able to download MBAM free version?

Have you had the side off of the case to insure all vents\fans\heat sinks are free and clear of hair and dust build-up as well as all fans are working.

#12 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

yes i got a error with avg.

i will try to update avg this evening when im playing around with it. lol. sigh. damn computer.

I will ya a update when I know something.

#13 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

so i cleaned this sucker out and wow was it a lot of hair and dust. still froze though. (im on safe mode with networking).

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

Guess we will rule out overheating at least as the total problem.

Have you been able to update AVG?

Have you tried to download MBAM as suggested in post #11?

#15 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

i was still unable to update avg however i did download avast( currently running right now) and i did download the mbam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users