Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home PC-Semi-Slow, Out of Space???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hey there,

If this topic needs to be moved, please do so with the corresponding link. (Thanks.)

I am trying to work on my kids' PC (Dell Dimension 4550); used to be mine.

They normally use it for iTunes, Limewire, and web browsing.

Lately, it has been saying out of space and not allowing them to download any more songs to their iPods.

I have deleted just about everything possible, except for a few photo and document files, which will be moved to CD in a bit.

I've gone thru the startup manger, and even run all types of spyware, anti-virus software programs, etc.

I just can't seem to figure out why it keeps saying there is not space. (I don't think there's enough on this PC to have actually used up all available space.)

Today, my son had to reinstall iTunes, but after he took it off the PC, it wouldn't let him install it back. Said there wasn't enough room, even when it was just on there.

Do you guys have any suggestions or other tricks I can try? I"m not sure how you can "look" at my computer to see what's on there....

Do I need to run a program and post a log?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

"Lately, it has been saying out of space and not allowing them to download any more songs to their iPods." From what i gathered there its your iPods that have ran outa space?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

No, I'm sorry. Maybe I phrased that wrong.

When iTunes was on this computer, it wouldn't let them download anymore songs to this PC. Said the computer was out of space.

#4 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

ahhhh got cha!

Go to my computer, right click on C: and click properties.

How much free space does it report?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#5 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

So, my 12yo is laughing...here is what my (hard drive) system specs are for this PC:

FREE Space: 320 MB
Total Size: 27.9 GB

He says he can get an iPod with more space than that! LOL....

Looks like Java and Service Pack 2 are sucking up all the space. Does this sound correct?

768 RAM, 1.99 GHz.....

Edited by dcanoli, 30 August 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#6 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Lol. The best thing to do in my opionion would be to buy another HDD and use that for all your music and data and your old HHD for windows etc
Lucy

#7 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Looks like this PC is saying there are 2 versions of SP2 on here--2.0 and 3.0.

Are both necessary? Does anyone know? They are the big space-suckers.

#8 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

I think it will be Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3. Yeah keepon both. You really will only be scrapping back around 500mb clearing up old stuff?
Lucy

#9 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

Alright, thanks. I just updated my fb status, to "is so stupid..."

We just looked at my HP, and it says that PC has almost 350 GB.....guess we solved our problem, huh?

Thanks!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users