Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgetful browser and memory leaks?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 209bdb

209bdb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Both IE8 and FireFox 3.5 will not keep me logged into websites like yahoo, linkedin, and even bleepingcomputer. They react as if i didnt even login, although i've entered correct username/password. My password and username are saved, but I have to click login every time. I checked the "remember me" options, and I set firefox to accept cookies and saved passwords. It seems that there is a memory leak with both IE and FF that typically opens at ~40,000k but if left opened within a day often climbs to 200,000k and even 500,000k.

I have already deleted "cookies.sqlite" as recommended in from a previous post recommending http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/2009/03/fi...o-keep-you.html

Also, I have deleted the cache.

Java has recently been updated v6.15.

This is very annoying... thoughts?

-Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Could be some overly sensitive security software blocking? What you use? Some proxy blocking thingy with wrong settings perhaps? Ad muncher type of program?

#3 209bdb

209bdb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

I use ZoneAlarm security suite and I don't use anything else to my knowledge. I have ad blocking turned off and a 'medium' setting for cookies (allows cookies from personalized services).

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

Dont know Zonealarm but it is mentioned a few time in Firefox knowledgebase, like here "Websites report cookies are disabled" Since problem concern both browser may be worth experimenting with.

When you go here http://browserspy.dk/cookie.php it should say yes all the way down.

#5 209bdb

209bdb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

I use ZoneAlarm security suite and I don't use anything else to my knowledge. I have ad blocking turned off and a 'medium' setting for cookies (allows cookies from personalized services).

#6 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Let me rephrase then. Turn off any cookie control in Zonealarm. And thank you for your effort up to now.

Dont add "to my knowledge" if you want to avoid answers trying to exclude the obvious. But lets see...

Edited by Bambo, 02 September 2009 - 09:50 AM.

#7 209bdb

209bdb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

repost

Edited by 209bdb, 02 September 2009 - 10:35 AM.

#8 209bdb

209bdb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

sorry about the repost... I did a refresh to see the newest post and instead it reposted my message.

#9 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

Ok, well my rephrase still goes. Then you know it is a problem or not. Exclude away. I did a search on Zonealarm forums and this is the way to solve this. Too rigid, aggressive sometimes. But ultra quick search. If no control at all fixes everything try look for tricks like exception list of urls or somehting. http://forums.zonealarm.com/ Feature not working so must be talked about as unacceptable.

If Zonealarm is to blaim why did it change behavoir? Have no idea, may be Zonealarm update? may be another will fix it?

#10 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

This must be about exception list for troublesome sites. http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-2846...amp;action=view

If there is a bug in "allows cookies from personalized services" may be you need to do this.

#11 209bdb

209bdb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Bambo.

It seems like it may have something to do with the cookies. I'm going through and have turned off the cookie blocking on the browsers and ZA. So far it seems to help. I am going to continue to diagnose this for a bit and will report.

Edited by 209bdb, 02 September 2009 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users