Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this works?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 megaheat

megaheat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Ok so yesterday, while i was packing up stuffs for moving, I found my stepdad's ancient Toshiba Portege 660CDT. It has no usb port so i can't really use my Usb wireless adapter to connect to internet. It can use dial-up to connect to internet so i thought of something:

If i buy this extender: http://www.amazon.com/Line-Extender-Extend...9512&sr=1-3

and then plug in the cable to and the wireless usb adapter to connect to internet. But will it works?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

That device is used to increase distance of a USB device. Now your laptop has no USB port. So..... where would you plug the USB cable of the device being talked about? And if you are thinking of putting the cable into your dial up modem port, no it cannot be done because it appears to be a Cat5 cable.

I found from here ( http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Toshiba-Porteg...DT-PA1126EYX-FR ) that the said laptop has 16MB RAM (maximum 80MB), processor clock freq is 150MHz. It runs on Windows 95. It has no Ethernet port.

I am sorry to say that chances of your USB wireless internet working on this way old laptop are very very small.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users