Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to wireless but won't load web pages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sjm

sjm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

I have recently ran into problems on my home wireless after getting a new work laptop and a new netbook. I have 2 Vista laptops, an XP desktop, and 2 XP laptops that are all connected to the wireless network. The 2 Vista laptops and the XP desktop are able to connect and get out to the internet without a problem. The other 2 XP laptops however will connect to the router and work fine for about 15 minutes before we start running into problems. The 2 XP laptops will stay connected to the router, but will stop loading web pages. After a few minutes I will get page can not be displayed, but I am still able to ping websites and pull their ip addresses. The only way to have the internet function properly again is to remove the wireless network and then reconnect again. However, it will still do the same thing after about 15 minutes.

I have tried setting the wireless security to none, WEP, and WPA all have the same end result. I also tried using a different a router and reconfiguring from scratch, but that did not work either. I took the 2 XP laptops to my neighbors and was able to connect to his wireless network without a problem. I was able to stay connected and browse the web normally for the few hours I was over there. I don't have the any problem when connected using a network cable. The work XP laptop is running SP2 so I am forced to only use WEP and the other XP laptop is at SP3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 huyvu90

huyvu90

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:36 AM

I have recently ran into problems on my home wireless after getting a new work laptop and a new netbook. I have 2 Vista laptops, an XP desktop, and 2 XP laptops that are all connected to the wireless network. The 2 Vista laptops and the XP desktop are able to connect and get out to the internet without a problem. The other 2 XP laptops however will connect to the router and work fine for about 15 minutes before we start running into problems. The 2 XP laptops will stay connected to the router, but will stop loading web pages. After a few minutes I will get page can not be displayed, but I am still able to ping websites and pull their ip addresses. The only way to have the internet function properly again is to remove the wireless network and then reconnect again. However, it will still do the same thing after about 15 minutes.

I have tried setting the wireless security to none, WEP, and WPA all have the same end result. I also tried using a different a router and reconfiguring from scratch, but that did not work either. I took the 2 XP laptops to my neighbors and was able to connect to his wireless network without a problem. I was able to stay connected and browse the web normally for the few hours I was over there. I don't have the any problem when connected using a network cable. The work XP laptop is running SP2 so I am forced to only use WEP and the other XP laptop is at SP3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

I did u scan for viruses/spywares? Did you try to use other browsers when your current browse had the problems? Two of your XP laptops have the same problem and this is very suspicious to me. Maybe both have a software that conflicts with the web browse. Do you have the problems with the web browser when you're in safe mode? Let me know if you have anymore info.

Because you can ping, your internet connection is fine. It also means that your router is working properly. If not, your packets wouldn't get through.

My guess is there is some sort of software conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users