Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RootRepeal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

I am about to post a topic in HJT Forum so I followed the preparation guide which includes downloading and running RootRepeal. Unfortunately, when I run RootRepeal, an error message pop-up saying "Decompression error (5)!". What went wrong?

Edit: Moved topic from Tutorials to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

Try running one of these two

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding Rist attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.
If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.

---------------------------

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download runscanner.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Runscanner (C:\Runscanner) and extract (unzip) the file there.
    (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Double-click Runscanner.exe to launch.
  • Select Beginner mode and click Ok.
  • Select Do a full scan and save a log file (default is Full Scan) to start.
  • Please be patient and do not use your computer during the scan.
  • When the scan is complete, a window will open asking you to save runscanner.run. Click Cancel.
  • Another window will open asking you to save runscanner.log.
  • Save it to your desktop and "Save as type: Runscanner log file [*.log].
  • The log file will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Go to the top menu, click on "Format" and uncheck "Word Wrap" if checked.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the log file into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
  • Exit Runscanner when done.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If Runscanner did not work, then reply back here.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

That error seems to indicate a problem with RootkitRepeal unpacking, which is usually a problem on the programmer's end, but it is hard to say if that is the case here. Bottom line is if you can get the DDS file to work go ahead and post its log and then post the fact that you can't get RR to work. The sooner you get in line for help the better, then your helper should have some ideas of what to do with RR.

Or, you can contact the developer yourself.

If you have questions or concerns regarding RootRepeal, please feel free to contact me at RootRepealNOSPAM@gmail.com. Remove the "NOSPAM" from the email address before sending. Please note that if you wish to send me a log, I may not be able to respond immediately.

If you have experienced a crash of RootRepeal, please include the words "RootRepeal crash" in the subject line, and I will try to get back to you as quickly as possible.

http://rootrepeal.googlepages.com/

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users