Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unistalling service pack 2 problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joanne01

joanne01

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hi i unistalled service pack 2 as it was causing too much problems. But after i unistalled it came up with new hardware found and the icons on the screen were bigger than normal. The hardware it found wwas plug in and play and when i tried to install it wouldnt. So i went on system restore to before i installed service pack 2 is this safe. I wish i hadnt bothered with service pack 2 caused too many problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hello joanne01.

I have been in the process of updating too. I am almost ready to do SP2 so I'm interested in seeing your outcomes. Thanks.

diego88

#3 joanne01

joanne01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

I installed it but i found it a bit of a nuisance with pop ups every five seconds and when my msn was loading up there were two msn icons in the tray at the bottom fo the screen. I just found it annoying

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

Just a note...if these little annoyances arent absolutely tearing you apart inside, keep sp2 in your system.

It fixes and unknown amount of holes,patches,cracks,and exploits in windows.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

By refusing to install SP 2 or deleting it on your Windows XP system you are acting irresponsibly - just like a drunk driver, weaving and speeding through heavy traffic on bald tires in the rain. You are allowing your computer to increase everyone else’s exposure to viruses, Trojans and other malware by operating a system on the Internet that lacks Critical security updates designed to stop the spread of malware. It is irresponsible behavior.

SP 2 is a Critical Update that primarily
addresses security issues. Without the Critical Updates provided by SP 2 your computer lacks much of the available ability to prevent the miscreants who produce malware from turning your computer into a zombie and thereby assisting them in the spread of their malicious code. Additionally, by not installing SP 2 you are eliminating your ability to access future updates from Microsoft as well.

The original problems experienced by some users upon installing SP 2 were the result of third party code that did not comply with Microsoft requirements – not a flaw in XP or SP 2. Most of the manufacturers of peripheral devices and applications have issued updates for their products, making them compliant with the Microsoft requirements and therefore eliminating conflicts providing their updates are loaded. Most users of recent equipment had no problems with SP 2, just those using older equipment or programs.

Microsoft is offering a free CD for the installation of SP2. Those using it have far fewer problems than those who download it. Act responsibly - order it and use it!

Microsoft is also offering free support should you experience any problems after installing SP 2.
Microsoft Security Product Support Policy - Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Knowledgebase: Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Knowledgebase: Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

SP2 is primarily a security upgrade, designed to tighten the security on your computer so that miserable, criminal miscreants writing malicious code will have a tougher time turning your computer into a zombie or stealing information from it. (Like your ID and banking records)

The problems resulting from the SP2 installation are due to non-compliant third party code, most of which has been updated by the various hardware and software providers whose programs caused the malfunctions errantly attributed to Microsoft for the most part.

If you update programs/drivers which have known issues before you download SP2 you are not likely to experience problems, but by not downloading SP2 and all other Microsoft Critical Updates and therefore opting out of even being able to get future Microsoft updates (because now that you missed the deadline the only way for you to even be able to get any future updates is by making your Microsoft updates automatic) that makes you recklessly complicit in the spread of viruses and malware across the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users