Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU usage? Virus or?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rollanda

rollanda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was using a 4 year old Dell, Windows XP Media computer two weeks ago. Started working on computer one morning and everything was fine. Phone rang, I answered. Customer needed me to look up an invoice. When I double clicked on icon on desktop to open Quickbooks to look up invoice nothing happened. I could not open any programs. I hit control, alt, delete since it's about the only thing I know to do and looked at CPU usage. It was at 100%. I tried rebooting, unplugging and letting sit, and rebooting some more. Nothing changed and CPU remained at 100% no matter what I did. I called a computer repair shop from the yellow pages and they said there was nothing I could do except unplug and bring it in. When I picked it up he had spent 4 days downloading from my hard drive and only saved me some photo's. Said there wasn't anything else he could extract or save from hard drive, but that it was now ready to use. Said I had a virus, but couldn't tell me anything more. I just want someone to tell me if they know of any problem, virus or not, that can cause 100% CPU usage. I had a strange feeling about this computer guy because he was so vague about everything. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Without knowing precisely what process or processes were maxing out as well as possible dependent applications running it would be disingenuous to guess what your issue could have been. Not knowing the skill set of the person you took it to, adds to the vagaries of what possibly happened. With what little information you have provided and now that your computer is 'fixed' there is little to nothing to go on. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The best you could hope for is a calculated guess, for an answer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users