Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware capable to stopping SmitfraudFix?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WaitWhat

WaitWhat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

A computer tech friend of mine suggested using SmitfraudFix on my computer when I told him that I was having issues with occasional blue-screens as well as computer glitches and slowdowns. I downloaded it, rebooted into safe mode as it recommended, then ran it using the second option (Clean), however, after a bit of movement in the text, for some reason SmitfraudFix closes and I'm unable to click on anything because all my icons in the background as well as my Windows Explorer bars are now missing. Is there Malware capable of closing SmitfraudFix, even while in safe mode? If so, is there anything I can do to remove it? If not, what could be causing it to close, and how can I fix that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newbie0001

newbie0001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

try renaming the smitfraudfix.exe to something else. there are also some malware that closes the computer when you run cmd which smitfraudfix use

#3 WaitWhat

WaitWhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but after renaming it, It still didn't work properly (Closes) and I don't have any symptoms of winzip123.

My computer doesn't SHUT DOWN after the command prop, it stays on, I can move my mouse and everything. However I can't click on anything because after starting the clean, my desktop items and windows explorer bars disappear and I can no longer click on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users