Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with code in Blogger

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bumdark

Bumdark

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

I've already searched around (here and other sites) for an answer to this but nothing seems to work, so I'd need a hands-on approach from an actual expert (being a newcomer to even basic HTML).

Here's the problem: I have a blog. Now, whenever you visit the front/main page with all the posts, it looks fine, yet when you head to an individual post page, somehow the page's "max height" seems to be restricting what can be displayed, ie. the lower portions of my sidebars are being cropped out, which as you can imagine is fairly annoying.

Example: here's the main page, yet if you head to a post page ... notice how the bottoms of the sidebars and their widgets keep getting truncated?

I'm using IE7 ('cause I just can't get Firefox to install) with sparse add-ons, though that's irrelevent as this glitch has never shone before even with my current configuration; I have no idea what changed.

I've already tried examining the code as best as I could but found nothing; I'm simply not good enough. I barely know the basics as it is.

Anyone who would be willing and able to check the code (attached to this post) and let me know what's glitching or going wrong would be greatly appreciated. If you need anything else (additional info, pics, etc.) I'll be happy to provide. Thanks in advance. =)
'Foreman's not as easy as Cameron. But of course, who is?'
'I'm in the room!'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

I don't see the problem... sorry, using IE8 and FF3...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#3 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

@KamakaZ:
I've tried viewing it both with my home browser (IE7), and with a friend's browser (IE6), and both showed the same errors. I'm not sure if it doesn't show in IE8 or not; either way, thanks for replying. =)

I've taken a quick screencap, in case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about:

Posted Image

As you can see, a part of the lower end of the sidebar is missing (there's supposed to be a few buttons (Technorati, SiteMeter, posts and comments count, etc.).

Also note that different post pages are affected differently; depending on the variable lengths of both the post and the sidebar (which changes heights depending on the length of the Random Quote displayed), the missing part can be more or less apparent.

Anyone who needs to see the template code can simply view the Source from the site (http://preliatorcausa.blogspot.com), as I can't seem to find a way to attach it.

My sincere thanks for any help I get. =)

Edited by Bumdark, 30 August 2009 - 07:30 PM.

'I'm in the room!'

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

Works fine on mine also; IE8 and FF3. Which means that it is the parsing engine of those two browsers (that you used) causing the problem. writing code that works properly across all browsers is very difficult and often takes trial and error to work. What does it look like in Safari, Chrome, or Konqueror?

#5 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

@Groovicus:
I've just tried it in Chrome; severely disappointed. The blog's layout's all messed-up (compared to how it shows with my IE7), and regardless of that, the cutting-the-bottom-of-the-sidebar glitch is still present. If anything, it's even worse.

Two little things: first, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "parsing engine". You need to regard me as a total noob who knows nothing, because that is truly my skill and knowledge level (or almost). I just know what I've learned from looking around, reading tutorials, and trial & error. Second, I just modified bits of the template code; the rest is mostly the original. I mostly just changed backgrounds, colors, fonts, widths & heights of sidebars, etc.

Thanks. =)
'I'm in the room!'

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

The parsing engine is the code that reads the HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and determines how to display it. Each browser handles the code in a slightly different fashion. Trying to get a page to display similarly across browsers is a skill that develops with experience and practice. The problem could be anything from a simple syntax error to deprecated CSS tags. The thing to do is to remove everything from a page and just start putting things back little by little until the page breaks again.

#7 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

Dang, didn't get a reply notification eMail.

Ah, that makes it clearer. Thanks. Well, I do suppose I'm guilty of using some deprecated tags here and there in my manual edits; I'll clear them out and replace them with modern tags, see if that helps. I doubt there are syntax errors, though; with the slightest mistake, Blogger gives you that (very) annoying "Template could not be parsed" error and doesn't allow the changes to be saved until it's corrected. (But then again, anything's possible.)

Thanks again for the help. =)
'I'm in the room!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users