Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on the best storage deviece for Photo's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JCII

JCII

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:53 AM

:thumbsup: I had a question. I want a good way to store my photo's. I have been putting them on disk (max size 700 MB) I was thinking about buying a 16 GB flash drive for $ 40 or should I spend around $100 for a 320 GB external hard drive. I read that the external hard drives no matter what the brand can die at some point and you will lose all your information. I know there are on line storage companies that for a monthly fee will back up all your data.

Will a flash drive long term be more dependable then an external hard drive?

Is the price of an on line storage company worth it and are they fool proof with once in a life time photo's?

Or is there another way to go?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

I'd prefer an external harddrive, I've had my WD for about a year now and it's still going strong, even though the drive itself sucks alot. I think you're best bet is to go with an external hard drive.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thank you for the response.

#4 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

No problem!
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.

I back up my irreplacable pics/videos on flash drives as well as DVDs (Verbatims). The files on DVD have generous Par files as well to fix possible data corruption. Hard drives will die, flash drives aren't as permanent as you would hope, DVDs can deteriorate. Maintain 3 redundant copies.

I would have no problem with online/offsite storage, as things like fires, floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes can destroy data as effectively as a simple hardware or media failure.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

isnt the life of a dvd round about 20 years?

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

I always keep a copy of my pictures on my Hard Drive, if they are really important I'll put them on the external HD, and alot of them end up on FB or Photobucket if not both sites. Of course I don't take that many pictures. My grandma buys a new SD card every time she fill one up, then locks them and tapes them up in the original packaging (after copying to her PC of course). Think I'll get her an External HD for x-mas.

Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

I also keep them on a hard drive.

I use hard drives in the same manner that others use external drives or DVDs, etc.

I have an excessive number of drives and it's quite easy to store files on them and disconnect/store them in the containers they arrived in.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users