Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran combofix, serious problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blandcorporatio

Blandcorporatio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hello all, it's my first time postng here. I have just brought my desktop over to china from the us (yes, that was probably my first problem). Anyway it worked fine after my arrival. A few weeks later I would encounter symptoms such as website redirecton and sometimes I could not browse at all (though my connection as good and receiving data). After applying my usual battery of antivirus software, I tried combofix (probably my second mistake). I disabled my other antivirus software, I followed the prompts and it ran fine. However, after combofix was restarted, my computer started up extremely slow. The startup programs eventually load but everything remains painfully slow. The hard drive light remains continuously on. In task manager, my memory usage remains low though there is much fluctation in CPU usage, even when I am not using the machine. Safe mode runs more or less fine. After backing up my personal files, I have tried to reinstall windows from the boot cd, but I can't even do that because I get a blue screen error message when setup is initializing. I have tried other things, freeing up memory, defragging, uninstalling programs but they yield no results. What can I do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Unsupervised use of "combofix" can indeed cause problems...I would be more concerned about the blue screens at this point in time...Try re-starting your computer and tap th F8 key continuously...Check that re-boot autimatically after failures is turned off and re-post what the BSOD error is...Someone may be able to guide you in fixing this error which may allow you to do a fresh installation of XP or at the very least a repair installation...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

Have you uninstalled combofix yet?

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Note: There's a space between Combofix and /
  • Posted Image

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Blandcorporatio

Blandcorporatio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Can I uninstall combofix in safe mode??

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

Can I uninstall combofix in safe mode??

I'm not sure
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Blandcorporatio

Blandcorporatio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Okay, I uninstalled ComboFix in the normal Windows mode. I have the same issue of very sluggish performance and the hard drive light continuously on. I do not hear the hard drive loudly whirring (as it occassionaly does in normal circumstances) but the light stays on without blinking. Windows works (I am typing to you from the problem computer), but its very slow.

I only got the BSOD screen when I tried to install windows from the boot disk. The BSOD said to make sure my hard drive was clear of viruses and things like that. The code began with a "STOP: 0x0000007B..." and continued with more digits. I do not want to try the boot disk process again unless you need more information than that. I have rarely (if never) gotten the BSOD for other problems I have been having lately. Sometimes when running games I would have a DRIVER_IQRL_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD, but that does seem to be related to this problem.

Sometimes after bad shutdowns (just turning the power off after it gets stuck), Windows runs CheckDisk and moves a couple files around, but always completes sucessfully for a normal (but incredibly slow) Windows startup.

Lastly, could this be a power supply problem? I replaced my power supply shortly after arriving in China (to ensure that there were no voltage issues) and I probably bought one less powerful than the default Dell one I had. However, this does not explain why the computer ran more or less fine for 1-2 weeks.

I have attached a HijackThis log, if that is helpful. Log removed. We don't analyze them in this forum. ~ OB I may be able to provide other logs, as Windows does seem to cooperate if I keep the memory usage low.

Thanks for all of your help.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 September 2009 - 12:22 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

Technical explanation:

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

Do you have any .dmp files from these errors?

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dmp

After making all system/hidden files viewable, do a search for any .dmp files on the system (Start/Search...type *.dmp and hit Enter).

If such exist, then try to follow the procedures at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/ .

How much RAM is currently installed?

You say that you tried to reinstall XP...does that mean that you tried to do a clean install?

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

<>

What boot disk is that?

Louis

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

Sometimes after bad shutdowns (just turning the power off after it gets stuck), Windows runs CheckDisk and moves a couple files around, but always completes sucessfully for a normal (but incredibly slow) Windows startup.

Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
Open "My Computer"
Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat the process.

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 September 2009 - 06:19 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users