Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Name EXE file that shows up via external drives?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Karagin

Karagin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hello. This is my first post and I did not find anything that dealt with my question, but I did find some very helpful tips in the other postings.

Okay, about three weeks ago I found that I had a file running called ERIC.exe, my first name is Eric, so that cause a bit of an alarm and I tried to find out what it was but nothing came up on the internet via Google. Then I tried to turn it off, that didn't do anything. A few days latter I started to notice that all of my external drives show up as folder icons instead of the harddrive icon picture when they are plugged in. Then I had a window popup telling me that eRIc.exe had an issue, it listed it in a TEMP file location on the C drive, and was going to close. Well I thought okay I will go to this file, check it out and remove it and see if it was an important file or not. When I went to the listed file C drive Documents and Settings Eric TEMP folder, it opened and then the eRIc.exe file vanished before I could even hover the mouse point over it.

Since then I have it showing up from time to on a couple of my external drives, drives that get scanned every time they are plugged in for viruses and other infections. Also yesterday my wife calls and tells me she is seeing the same thing a file with her first name with a .exe tag.

How can I get rid of this and can some tell me what it is and how I got it?

Thank you for all the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users