Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not powering on!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

I have a friends Compaq Presario C700 Laptop that I am fixing for her. It is powering on and then 3 sec later it turns off. The blue light is showing on the power outlet. I don't think the power adapter is the original one that came with the computer as it doesn't fit as snug as it should. She bought another power adapter from Buy.com, but that didn't work either. What could be the problem? Ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

will it start without the adaptor-battery only?

#3 Sarah33

Sarah33

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

My computer sorta has the same problem. My power cord doesn't fit as good as it should and my computer turns on then turns off. I went to the store and they said there could be some dirt or dust in the power outlet, but I'm not sure how to clean it?

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:18 AM

I checked and the LED lights come on. The power lights is steady. I tried the hard reset, but had no luck. The fan runs for 3 sec and then turns off just before the laptop powers off. I cleaned out the fan, but had no impact on the problem. The power adapter was working before, therefore probably is okay for this machine. Any other ideas? Thanks

#5 aocvirek

aocvirek

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

CAP2587:
I have seen something similar on two other laptops. Usually it is a defective or aged battery. It simply cannot hold a charge anymore, even while plugged in, and after a few seconds while trying to boot, it dies.

Sadly, based on a lot of reviews and complaints I have read, the Compaq Presario C700 is getting a lot of bad feelings for its low battery life and often low quality and defective parts. Unfortunately, I have owned Compaq Persario's before, and the quality issues appear to be as bad with this model as in years past. I hate to say it, but this sounds like a defective battery to me.

Sarah33:
There are a few ways of cleaning dust out of an outlet, though most people I know prefer canned air. Blowing a little pressurized air into the socket will normally break up and blow out anything built up in there. However, having a power cord that doesn't fit into the socket like it should might not be from dust. It could be bent prongs, foreign objects lodged in the socket etc...

Edited by aocvirek, 02 September 2009 - 09:56 PM.

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the input on my problem. Is it worth buying another battery for the Laptop. Shouldn't it still start without the battery in it, working from the power outlet. What is the best place to buy the battery from. I hope this is the problem as she just bought a new power supply thinking that was the problem. Thoughts

#7 aocvirek

aocvirek

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

It depends Cap2587.

Some laptops (including the Compaq's I used to own) ran all the power through the battery, so plugging it in without a battery connected is often a dead end. (This actually served to shorten the battery life since leaving them plugged in all the time burns them out faster, and once the battery did die, you had no choice but to buy a new one. Given the notoriously weak charge in those batteries, they would often be plugged in for long periods.) I think that is how they used to do it with Compaq, but they may have changed the design since then.

I assume the power supply you bought didn't work. If not, then I would contact Compaq and ask if the machine can run while plugged in, but without a battery. My guess is no.

To be honest, it is hard to diagnose something like this remotely since there are a number of hardware issues that could cause similar symptoms. The best way to find out is probably to use a voltmeter on the battery to see if it is holding a charge at all. You don't happen to have one do you?

#8 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

the laptop should run fine without the battery inserted.i have used my compaq laptop for months on a/c power only

#9 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 Notebook that I run on the AC Power alone and have taken the battery out completely. What else could the problem be if it's not the battery. How can I find out for certain what the problem is. I may have to try and lend a battery for a compaq laptop to see if this is the issue? Thanks and any more tips would be appreciated.

#10 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

seeing as the battery is not needed i would try to borrow a power cable from another compaq(if you can find one suitable) and try that

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

I am at a loss to come up with answers to this problem. I have tried a new power supply and a new battery and neither has worked. I am not sure what else to try. It must be some kind of hardware failure. Any other ideas?

#12 pcstu

pcstu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi, i have had this problem before. What i was was a big pile of dust buildup in the intake vent usually on the side of the laptop. this caused the cpu to not get enough air flow and the temp would instanly rise and the computer would shut down usually after about 10-45 seconds after startup. You could have a look there. I did have to take the laptop apart to have a look and get it all out. Hope this helps.

It could also be the intake fan not working. Check to see if it is spinning.

Edited by pcstu, 20 September 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#13 leejaedong

leejaedong

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

You've already tried it with or without the battery and with an external power source, right? Worst case scenario like what you just said, Hardware Failure. Specifically speaking the motherboard of the laptop is at fault and would most likely need to be replaced. Have it checked by the manufacturer though to be on the safe side. Best hunch though is that its the mobo.

Edited by leejaedong, 20 September 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#14 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I will try and look for excessive dust build up and see if that is an issue. If the fan is not working would that mean the computer would shut doown within seconds of starting. Where would we buy another fan from. Could we take a fan out of another Presario and put it in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users