Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! GETTING WINDOWS ROOT, SYSTEM32.HAL.DLL ERROR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brounsville

brounsville

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

hi guys i woke up this morning and started my pc up and i got this error. "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please install a copy of the above file.

I did a search online 4 any help, and a few people have encountered this same proplem. Most have had to do just reinstall windows, but in my case that just isnt an option. there are files on my pc that cant be replaced. If any one has any solutions plz plz plz help.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

There are a couple options when it comes to this problem.
  • You can (and should) recover all your files using the method described here
  • Windows comes with a repair install feature, so you can look into that. the procedure is described here.
see if those help for you
if you have any questions please post.

Regards
~powerjuce

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

Another option would be to use the recovery console...Detailed instructions for it's use can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

If you don't have an XP CD you can still follow the links to burn an ISO for the recovery console inside the above link.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

thanks alot for your replies and tips. Im sooo confused as whats the best option. Im drawn more to the repair install feature as it seems the easiet to do but even saying that i still wouldnt be comfortable trying it without having my files backed up. *sigh* In this situation what is your number 1 recommendation?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

You can use a Linux distro as was mentioned in the post recommending a repair installation. The poster mentioned Ubuntu, I prefer Puppy which can be burned to a Live CD....The great thing about Puppy is it is small and Runs from RAM not your Hard Drive....You can download it, burn an ISO Image, load it in the tray reboot and it will load...answer a few questions...and once it loads you can navigate to the files that you want to save...You can use this on a machine that the hard drive is failing because it runs from RAM...Pretty Cool...

Once you have retrieved what you want you can reload your Xp CD and go from there...But in all reality if you are just doing a repair installation all of your files and settings will not change as you are "Repairing" not "Re-Formating and Re-Installing...

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 30 August 2009 - 08:44 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

Yes brounsville

that is what i said to do with step one. You can use whichever distro you want, however ubuntu is the easiest to use, even though it is a little big. Also the tutorial uses ubuntu, so that using ubuntu makes your life easier as well.

However if you want to use puppy you can use this tutorial.

#7 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

Hey Guys thanks a million for all the tips and advice. I've backed up my files and got back into my pc as normal using recovery console. I tried repair instal first but I didnt see a repair option so I stopped and tried the recovery console option. The only issue I have now is, when I reset my pc again it gives me the same error message again. once I use recovery console it works fine but, like I said it reverts to the same error message after I turn it off and put it back on. I've just currently did a system restore so hopefully that should solve the problem. if not I guess Ill just have wipe everything off and reinstall windows. do you know where this problem stems from?

Thanks again

#8 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

that is the exact link on how to do the repair install

here is what you can do http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warning2 if there is a no repair install.

if you can get back into the operating system i suggest you try sfc

BC tutorial

Other tutorial

I suggest you try that
by the way what are you running in recovery console?
Regards
~powerjuce

Edited by powerjuce, 02 September 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#9 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

Hi powerjuce, yeh my pc is fine now. I tried using that first link to do the repair install but the "repair" option was not available to me. Thats when I followed the recovery console option found in "warning 2". warning 2 didnt go into the exact details of what to do after a certain point, so I found another link that gave me the full info.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

after that I was able to log into my pc. I did a system restore lastnite and I think that fixed the problem because I havent recieved the error warning since. (knock on wood)

Thanks again for all the help guys. I wouldnt of had a clue how to solve this problem if otherwise.

brounsville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users